what Western state would you recommend other than Colorado?

It "didn't" keep me from applying.

When I started this game years ago I think it was $7.00 per preference point. Trust me, I've been applying longer than most.

But it's still a money grab.

Good job on your elk hunting success!
I agree about the money grab. I had 9 points in Utah years ago when they raised it from $8 to $80 a year and I quit. My buddy has more than 20 points now and still hasn't drawn. I won't participate in any point program in any state. Even the license price is a money grab. The huge price difference between resident and non resident to hunt the same animals on mostly federal land is a farce. Non-residents mostly fund all the western states fish and wildlife departments.

I agree about the money grab. I had 9 points in Utah years ago when they raised it from $8 to $80 a year and I quit. My buddy has more than 20 points now and still hasn't drawn. I won't participate in any point program in any state. Even the license price is a money grab. The huge price difference between resident and non resident to hunt the same animals on mostly federal land is a farce. Non-residents mostly fund all the western states fish and wildlife departments.

Totally agree.

After this year's CO elk drawing I will have 27 NR Elk Points...and I still can't draw the tag I want. When I got into this game (farce) it only took 7 NR Elk points t draw in GMU #201, and I can't draw that tag now with 27! Along the way the CO DOW has changed the # of tags available, decreased the % of NR tags, started giving (selling) more tags to fundraisers/other interests, jacked the application fee multiple times, and now they require me to purchase a dang hunting license just to apply. :mad:

At this point I'm still applying just out of principal. And I'm hoping I outlive enough of the other applicants so that I get drawn. (Is that okay to say?)

I'm glad the people of ID never let the F&G do the point thing. We knew what it would turn into and shot it down at every attempt. Non-res do pay a ton of money to hunt here but I also pay the same non-res fees to buy second tags because it's still cheaper to do that then hunt out of state plus it's closer and I already know the areas. I do what it takes to afford it because hunting is my #1 hobby. The non-residents can b!tch all they want but it won't change the fact that they will always pay more. It's the same in any state. The states with higher demand just charge more. Funding for our fish and game comes strictly from tag and licenses sales. ID is a big state and very remote with few people. That means it cost a lot to manage the game. If F&G jacks the prices up for the residents then you lose new hunter recruitment plus those that can barely afford it do it now and your revenue goes to hell. Bottom line is it's never going to get cheaper then it is right now so figure out a way to fund, this or any hobby, or don't do it.

Not all midwestern states, wi is $160 for nonresidents, in my county you also get 2 doe tags as well as a buck. The first year they actually give you a tag for half off as well. No points, all over the counter. But, good luck finding land to hunt on.

I would look into Northern New Mexico around the Chama area. Landowner tags are available.
You may be able to find an outfitter for a reasonable cost.
A lot of elk there. Our hunt was 4x4, spot and stalk.

...again!

What area, & species? NR?, and how many points?

I'm a non-resident from the midwest. I apply in Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, Nevada, Wyoming, and Arizona for elk and mule deer. Currently I have between 18-27 preference points for all these states except for Wyoming where max points is lower. Guess the saying about a sucker being born every minute applies to me. Feel like I'm personally funding several states wildlife budgets. I'm real close on a lot of great tags but saying something like that makes me think I sound like a compulsive gambler. I always have a plan to hunt something every year while I'm blowing money on preference points. There's OTC tags and landowner vouchers which you just have to decide what your tolerance is for the price.

I feel your pain for Colorado 201. Going into the 2018 draw there were two non-residents with 28 points and twenty-five with 27 points. Both 28 pointers drew and two of the 27 pointers drew (8%) which I guess means there are twenty-five 28 pointers for 2019 for roughly four tags. Hopefully maybe half of these people will decide to immigrate to other countries soon. The residents aren't a whole lot better off.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.