Which would you choose?

Both will kill an elk just fine so if one is easier to pack in the mountains or you shoot one considerably better then that would make it a better choice. If both weigh the same and shoot equally well, I would personally pick the 280 with hammers. If you hit the shoulder with the 140 Berger's it may not penetrate well enough.

I think a guys got to shoot whatever he shoots best and has the most confidence in the fact that he can put the bullet in the boiler room. With that being said I would hedge towards the 280 AI also. I am sure the 6.5 PRC will do the job with the right bullet placement but the 2870 AI will do it better with the same shot placement and if there is a little room for error I always err to the side of bigger is better.

Elk season in Colorado is almost here and I have a question for you, just for fun. Which cartridge and bullet combo would you choose for Bull elk to 400 yards? The 2 rifles in my safe that are up to bat are

A 6.5 PRC running a 140 Berger VLD at 3020 fps. I have ultimate confidence in this rifle and its accuracy to 625 yards using a Leupold CDS turret cut for my load. I will be using this rifle on a mule deer hunt in about 3 weeks and hope to get my first animal with it, a big giant high country buck!

Or

A 280AI running a 168 Berger Classic Hunter at 2900 fps or a 143 Hammer Hunter at 3120 fps.

I have had success with the Ackley and Hammers last year on 2 Elk so I have no doubt in it capabilities. I also have no doubt the PRC will do the job with a 140 VLD. I'm not really asking for advise just cant decided which rifle/bullet to grab! I feel all three loads are pretty dang close with the edge going to the 143 Hammer.

So what do you think? Which rifle would you grab and which bullet?[/QUOT
Elk season in Colorado is almost here and I have a question for you, just for fun. Which cartridge and bullet combo would you choose for Bull elk to 400 yards? The 2 rifles in my safe that are up to bat are

A 6.5 PRC running a 140 Berger VLD at 3020 fps. I have ultimate confidence in this rifle and its accuracy to 625 yards using a Leupold CDS turret cut for my load. I will be using this rifle on a mule deer hunt in about 3 weeks and hope to get my first animal with it, a big giant high country buck!

Or

A 280AI running a 168 Berger Classic Hunter at 2900 fps or a 143 Hammer Hunter at 3120 fps.

I have had success with the Ackley and Hammers last year on 2 Elk so I have no doubt in it capabilities. I also have no doubt the PRC will do the job with a 140 VLD. I'm not really asking for advise just cant decided which rifle/bullet to grab! I feel all three loads are pretty dang close with the edge going to the 143 Hammer.

So what do you think? Which rifle would you grab and which bullet?
PRC for a head shot. Best bet for DRT.

I live in the Rockies and hunt Elk with a 7MM Rem Mag shooting 162 Barnes eldx. Took a 343 in bull at 540 yards with one shot two years ago,

Attachments

• 23622445_10212662099820852_7325244162257951945_n.jpg
    23622445_10212662099820852_7325244162257951945_n.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 111

Or

Bigger is always better. Especially at distance. The .280 A.I. with the heaviest bullets you can load would be my choice. Personally, I hunt with a .35 Whelen and either Sierra 225 grain GKs or 250 grain Speers. My backup rifle is a .300 winmag with 200 grain Speer or Sierra projectiles. The better the straight-line penetration and the larger the exit hole, the more likely to not have to blood-trail the elk, and the less likely he will go into the deepest, darkest part of the area to die. Also, a nice large hole means a trackable blood-trail should he not drop right away.

Or

Persanally i would use the 280 AI. but either will do well. Put the pill in the right place, dead is dead! Dont sweat it, they are both great, use the one you like the best. No losers here!

Or

300wsm with 180 grain accubonds

Of all the elk I've killed, which is getting close to 20 they've all died the same with whatever rifle/cartridge I've used. 28 nosler behind the shoulder had the same stagger fall over result as the 6.5 creedmoor. 300 H&H and 45-70, same deal. Now the 280 AI last year with the 143 hammer was impressive. That was my first true bang flop elk kill I've ever had when shooting behind the shoulder. Granted it was only 70 yards and a calf but that hammer did its job!

Elk aren't hard to kill, doesnt take a 338 shooting heavies. Just be smart and patient. Very rarely do the animals I shoot know I'm there so I have lots of time to make the shot. No sense in forcing a shot on an animal and making a bad one, let them go there are more to hunt. Besides the best way to ruin an elk hunt is by killing one!

Or

My .300 Weatherby.

They are all good to go rifles,but i guess im old fashion i would have to stick with my 300 win mag .it shoots very good has never let me down.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.