Which boots?

I've had many brands off and on for about 50 years and can't say enough about the Crispi brand for break in, ankle support, being water proof etc. Boots are one, if not the most important necessities, for spending time in the wilderness.

I have lots of brands just like others here, just got back from Colorado elk hunt and would not have been fun without the kenetreks, lots of snow and i know my feet would have been wet with a lesser boot. I did 30 miles just getting the 6x6 out over 4 days. My only gripe with them is cold feet, so i just picked up a pair of the 1000 gram, got them on sale for 375. 2nd choice would be crispi, to me they are just not quite as comfortable as the kenetreks. Lowa i did not like at all, small soles and no traction. Cabelas used to make good boots, but they are not a western mountain boot. Had a couple danners, 1 pair was okay, others were junk. A couple years ago i would not have ever dreamed of spending over 200 on boots until you get a good pair.

Maybe my feet are tougher than most, but I've never in my life paid more than $200 for a pair of boots, and that was a pair of Redwings for firefighting. I still have them 19 years later, but they are too heavy and noisy for hunting. If you're a flatlander, getting in shape for the hunt means carrying a 45 lb. pack 3 miles 3 times a week (wearing your hunting boots) for a couple of months before the hunt. If you do that, your calves won't burn going up the steep grades, and your pack straps won't bother you. An old saying is that a pound on the foot is equal to 5 pounds on your back. I believe it. I've hunted elk in CO and NM, and when it is cold, I wear the lightest insulated Goretex boots from Cabela's. Make sure they have Vibram style tread. The lighter nylon boots generally have softer tread, which is quieter. That makes it easier to sneak up on game. Make sure you have gaiters. It is hard to find quiet gaiters, but worth the trouble. When I hunted CO I took snowshoes. I find if there is more than 6" of snow, they are worth having.

I like having a selection of boots depending upon weather and terrain. If there's lots of snow I'll use tall boots. If hiking lots of sidehills where I'm covering gobs of sheep, goat, or elk country I'll select mid weight hikers. If I hunt plains antelope or rimrock deer I'll choose a light breathable hiker.

I use and abuse my boots working out in the field year round here in Colo. In fact, I usually only get roughly 1 year out a boot. I've found that the more stitching....especially around the toe and front of the boot...the shorter time they last. Seams always fall apart and that's usually the locations where the gortex wears through and starts leaking. The more leather...the better. Also having a rubber rand around the front and sides rather than leather or synthetic material lasts long. Hands down.... leather boots outlast synthetic boots.

I am generally super active hiking while scouting and hunting in Colo, Wyo, and Alaska. I have never bought a pair of insulated boots. I work all winter in the field in Colo and never have cold feet. My particular feet would likely get wet from the inside out with insulation. If I'm in super cold weather I'll use a little heavier socks. I also dump the insoles that come with the boots and buy insoles with more cushion. I usually buy boots 1 size larger so I can add thicker insoles and when needed relax the laces with thicker socks.

In regard to brands. I tried Kennetreks Mtn Hunters. I felt like I was on stilts and found it difficult on rocky hillside to keep from twisting my ankles. The thick soles were nearly impossible to stalk game quietly. I tried them 1 day and returned them. I exchanged them for Lowa Tibets which were much lower to the ground (stable) and super waterproof in deep snow, etc. The only time I wear my Tibets is in deep snow because they are a chunk heavier and stiffer than mid height hikers.

I've used and abused several different pairs of Lowas and Scarpas over the years on multiple sheep, mtn goat, and elk hunts. Lowa Vantage and Caminos have worked well. Scarpa Kailash were good but they were narrower than I prefer and fell apart at some of the seams. Crispi boots have a huge following and I just bought a pair of Dakotas. They ought to outlast many of my other boots since they are all leather. Crisipi Nevadas were super nice but I really couldn't afford over $400 for a pair of boots! Some of the synthetic Crispis likely breath better but I doubt they will outlast the all leather versions.

well, this is evidence of unicorns. The original pronghorns were great, they were made of quality materials, comfortable and held up a few seasons for hard hunting. Once they outsourced to China, they became useless shams imo.

the bad thing is that they feel great in the store, so ppl buy them..... they fail almost immediately and are too weak to provide any ankle support.
I am just curious, have you ever actually owned the pronghorns, or just sold them?

Your feet will be your number one asset or downfall on that kind of hunt. whatever you buy, break em in and treat em. It is worth the little extra to go with a solid leather boot of high end construction like the Crispi, Lowa, Kenetrek etc. I highly recommend you take a look at Hoffman Boots! a guide friend of mine who outwalks anyone now swears by them and he has tried alot of boots. I see on thier website the 8" insulated explorer or the 10" are $360 which is just a couple factory boxes of ammo above 300 :) Good luck

I've never been on an Elk hunt in mountains, but the warmest most comfortable winter boots I've EVER had were military Mukluks. Worked awsome sitting in stand all day. NEVER got cold feet! Can adjust the fit with layers of wool socks and can buy as "surplus" in many places online. Just thought I'd mention them.

I have horrible feet has developed over the last 2-3 years before that I could wear anything without bothering my feet. I just turned 37 I'm active all the time between work hunting and just doing stuff around the house. I'm always on my feet. I used to wear keens, dr Martin, timberland pro for my everyday work boot. Well my feet started hurting and it got to the point they hurt enough after a long day I think it would have felt better to cut them off. I would spend an hour icing them before bed do some stretches wear a brace on them to help stretch them out. Anyways ow I have found Nicks boots to be very comfy. They are very spendy and before I would think why spend $400 on Boots well I can tell you I would were put a pair to two pairs of boots a year. I'm now going on 3 years with these Nicks I wear them everyday and I have resoled them once. My feet are recovering but they still get sore at the end of the day but not like they were. There were some days I wouldn't do as much because of my feet. Now I won't let them hold me back. If I was you I would consider the Hoffman's explorer, with 400g insulation. Why not wear these boots hunting at home too? I know guys that have switched to kenetrek or the Hoffman's and they were them everyday because they are comfortable and give
Great support. Like others have said take care of your feet. I have learned my lesson I'm going to be getting a pair of the Hoffman's I believe or kenetrek. Hasn't been very cold here yet I have been just wearing my uninsulated Nicks. But it's coming. I think you would wear a quality boot more often once you get the feel for them. Before I couldn't wait to get home to get my work boots off now it's my go to foot were. Sorry for the long post.

Look into Lacrosse Aerohead. It's like no other boot I've ever worn. Fits like a running shoe, super soft insole that molds to your foot, lite weight, waterproof... It has everything you want out of a hunting boot. I think I paid $130. They have been abused and are holding up great.

Yea scheels as 20% off Crispis and 25% off Kenetrek for Black Friday. Plus Hoffman has 10% off too right now on online orders. If you look online Bobwards had a good sale on Hoffman 8" explorers uninsulated too.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.