Which Rifle?

jsmitt6

Headed to Colorado for a mule deer/elk hunt in a few weeks. Cant decide on which rifle to take. Hunting a private ranch, so not concerned about weight since we utilize ATVs and hunt out of blinds for the most part. I shoot all these from my tripod so they all have Arca attachments. Here are the details of each rifle. I am leaning toward the 270 SS as a fun do it all rifle while taking the 30 Nosler as backup. What are your opinions?

338 Sherman Short
  • Manners EH1 Stock
  • 26" Barrel
  • Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15
  • Silencerco Hybrid
  • 250 Berger 2750 FPS / 225 Accubond 2840 FPS
30 Nosler
  • Mesa Precision Altitude
  • 26" Barrel
  • Leupold Mark 5 5-25
  • Silencerco Omega
  • 180 Accubond 3180 FPS

270 Sherman Short
  • MPA UltraLite Chassis
  • 20" Barrel
  • Leupold Mark 5 3.8-18
  • Silencerco Omega
  • 150 Accubond LR 3075 FPS

Headed to Colorado for a mule deer/elk hunt in a few weeks. Cant decide on which rifle to take. Hunting a private ranch, so not concerned about weight since we utilize ATVs and hunt out of blinds for the most part. I shoot all these from my tripod so they all have Arca attachments. Here are the details of each rifle. I am leaning toward the 270 SS as a fun do it all rifle while taking the 30 Nosler as backup. What are your opinions?

338 Sherman Short
  • Manners EH1 Stock
  • 26" Barrel
  • Silencerco Hybrid
30 Nosler
  • 26" Barrel
  • Leupold Mark 5 5-25
  • Silencerco Omega
  • 180 Accubond 3180 FPS

270 Sherman Short
  • MPA UltraLite Chassis
  • 20" Barrel
  • Leupold Mark 5 3.8-18
  • Silencerco Omega
Having choices is a good problem, but do not unnecessarily complicate it. Pick one and have fun with it.

338 Sherman Short
  • Manners EH1 Stock
  • 26" Barrel
  • Silencerco Hybrid
30 Nosler
  • 26" Barrel
  • Leupold Mark 5 5-25
  • Silencerco Omega
  • 180 Accubond 3180 FPS

270 Sherman Short
  • MPA UltraLite Chassis
  • 20" Barrel
  • Leupold Mark 5 3.8-18
  • Silencerco Omega
The 270 Sherman would be my choice. Compact, powerful, excellent muzzle velocity and with the right bullet you will be assured of really deep penetration at virtually any distance from 50 yds out to 900 or 1000 yds depending on altitude and atmospheric pressure. Look at Cody Adams's post from this morning on the thread "From BC to terminal ballistics"

All of my rifles are sub-moa rifles on the bench. I wouldn't consider myself a top tier shooter, but consistently hit torso sized plates out to 1200 yards (obviously without much wind, perfect scenario, etc). I typically like at least a 30 cal for elk, so I might have to take that or the 338ss. But I really do love that 270. Maybe have to take two guns to the lookout spot and make a game-time decision. Luckily where we glass from is a heated blind not 20 yards from the 2 track. Man, it is tough having choices 🤷🏽‍♂️

Thanks for the response, I am certainly excited to head out in a few weeks. Good luck to all who are or will be hunting the rest of the season.

If you like the .270 use that. I stopped shooting deer with my 30 cal because it wrecks a lot of meat, 270 is fine medicine for an elk.