Which is more frustrating…?

There's lots of good thermals out there. I've only looked through a few so can't give good recommendations.

...FWIW I know you were trying to be smart but you just sound dumb now.

I was not asking about thermals, what scopes do you recommend for shooting at night ?
IMG_4890.JPG

Last edited:
Top tier Alpha scopes are not expensive...they are priceless.

But they are not for everyone. It is all about the cost ÷ shots fired under it.

For some guys, a $1000 scope will equal to $10-20/shot fired. Or a $3500 scope might be up in that $35-70/shot fired (or more).

For me, a majority of my $3500+ scopes are running in that $2-4/shot range so far. Some less, some more...for now. I know I have two $3500 scopes that have to be less than $1/shot so far, and dropping.

That's an excellent perspective.

I can honestly say that I can't fault the Spina scopes, but they do seem to get peoples blood boiling. The only reason I have posted my findings is to let people know how good they are, if they were junk I would say so without hesitation.

I was leery about the scopes to start with, but my confidence grew with each purchase, so much so that I even took the chance and bought a red dot. I have always had problems with red dots and this one was no exception, so I sent it back for a refund and left negative feedback about it. The seller said they are normally first class and I must have got a one off lemon, he wanted me to try another one but I had had enough of them. Anyway he kept on and on at me to try again, but I kept refusing, but he became even more insistent when he got a new line of solar powered red dots. I finally caved when he said I could have one free of charge. I should have it in a week.:)

I find this to be a fair review. Sounds like you disagree with his initial summary that they are worth what he paid.

Well,I will say that if it wasn't for the cheap ffp scopes like Vortex diamondbacks,Athlon TACs,Argos,Helos and the Arkens ,most folks could not afford to get a start in the shooting world. Go to a local once a month,NRL22 ,ELR22 and you will see a dad in a rusty toyota with a couple kids,sharing a $5-$600 22lr with a used beat up Chinese scopes, score above a lot of $6000 22lr combos. Does it not make future shooters?
I believe most progress to better equipment.

I find this to be a fair review. Sounds like you disagree with his initial summary that they are worth what he paid.

Something tells me you're replying to someone that was on also participating on that thread

I think it's a fair albeit limited assessment.

I suppose what I like about them the most is that they are tough. I mounted the first one I got on several rifles and it has performed well on all of them.

Two things I dislike about them is that they nearly all have 30mm tubes, and they look out of place on old school rifles of which I have several.

I can only really compare them with Leupold scopes, as Leupolds are what I used for many years.

Last edited:
I sold one old scope, and bought 10 new ones with the proceeds.

I tried scopes that I could not afford to try before. I now know I prefer scopes with FFP and side adjustable parallax with lockable turrets, and of course excellent glass. View attachment 547995

The bullet / cartridge/ barrel question is indeed a mystery. I have recently found one winning combination but is was by sheer luck rather than anything else
I don't mean to sound like a d¡(#, but did you sell a $1200 Vortex PST to get those 10 Spina scopes?

You mention "excellent glass, FFP, etc.", but in a $105 dollar scope? Come on...

I don't mean to sound like a d¡(#, but did you sell a $1200 Vortex PST to get those 10 Spina scopes?

You mention "excellent glass, FFP, etc.", but in a $105 dollar scope? Come on...
I sold a Leupold scope, and I sold another one just last Friday.

I paid $ 195 Canadian ( about 144 US ) for the scope with the bells and whistles.

Hahah I didn't realize they were that cheap, I thought we were talking $5-700 Chinese optics that might actually be "decent"
at that price I'd have to wager they are total junk, I'd like to look through one but no way I'm giving up any money to do so.

Hahah I didn't realize they were that cheap, I thought we were talking $5-700 Chinese optics that might actually be "decent"
at that price I'd have to wager they are total junk, I'd like to look through one but no way I'm giving up any money to do so.
Yea, I wasn't just calling any athlon ares or vortex razor bino knock off junk. Sorry it came off that way