Sierra 70 gr Blitzking

Seabeeken

I'm building a 244AI and looking at bullets for groundhogs. I've tested many bullets in the past but never the 70 BK. Does anyone have experience with these in 6mm cal and how was accuracy and performance on varmints? Thanks for the help

I have a .244 AI in an Encore handgun. I've taken 735 groundhogs with it (I keep records). I tested a lot of bullets in mine including the one you're asking about. I tested Horn., Nos., Sierra bullets mostly.
Horn. VMaxes were not as explosive as the others. Sierra BK didn't fly as flat as the others (in my gun). Nos. 70 gr. BTs were the winner in all aspects. That's the only bullet I use now & the past 10+ years. I've taken 'hogs out to 400 yds.
As an aside, I've taken 2 deer at 400 yds. & a javelina at 250 with Nos. 85 gr. PTs. Great bullet ,too.
Funny thing, I sent Horn. a letter saying their VMaxes weren't as explosives as others. Got a letter from Steve H. saying if I wasn't pleased with his bullets maybe I should switch. I use Noslers 98% of the time without regret.

Good info. Ive hunted for yrs in the moorefield wv area. Taken countless deer there. Still have land there. I took 400 groundhogs in antietam back in the 80's. Never saw a place so infested. How did the 70 bk shoot? Ill see if i can find th nos bt for testing. Thanks for the info and help.

Ken

We are killing deer with the 70g Nosler BT, and in my opinion, the blitz king is more explosive on P. dogs than ballistic tips, as they have a very different kind of jacket vs the ballistic tip.

I rate them this way in terms of how they will explode:

#1 most explosive is the blitz king

#2 is the 75g V max

#3 is the 70g Nosler

244 AI runs the 70g at 4050-4100(Win 760), and the 75s at 3900+
80g Sierra blitz BT at 3800 with R#19 or IMR 4831

14 Twists will run all of these bullets, hedge your bets with a 12T.

My 10T ran the 70s at 3985 fps on 26" Douglas barrel, formed brass.

Sierra bullet quality is a given, dependable, and 68g Benchrest bullets work great on p. dogs to chucks.

We are killing deer with the 70g Nosler BT, and in my opinion, the blitz king is more explosive on P. dogs than ballistic tips, as they have a very different kind of jacket vs the ballistic tip.

I rate them this way in terms of how they will explode:

#1 most explosive is the blitz king

#2 is the 75g V max

#3 is the 70g Nosler

244 AI runs the 70g at 4050-4100(Win 760), and the 75s at 3900+
80g Sierra blitz BT at 3800 with R#19 or IMR 4831

14 Twists will run all of these bullets, hedge your bets with a 12T.

My 10T ran the 70s at 3985 fps on 26" Douglas barrel, formed brass.

Sierra bullet quality is a given, dependable, and 68g Benchrest bullets work great on p. dogs to chucks.
Thanks for the info. I have some of those listed and will test them along with some Berger 87 BTHP. My barrel is 8 twist 23". Got the 8 because I thought I'd shoot copper bullets which are longer in addition to varmints. Ordered 70 BK and 70 BT last night. Thanks

Seabeeken, a friend is shooting the 70g Noslers at 4400 out of a 6 Gibbs, long barrel on deer and hogs. The base on the Nosler and the jacket material on the Noslers make for a tough base to keep plowing through. They are also claiming great success with the 55g Nosler ballistic tips.

My reamer has zero freebore in the 6 AI, set up for lighter bullets up to 8o grain.

The eighty grain Barnes TTSX has proven to be very accurate and super deadly on deer in a pard's, ten twist rifle, and 3800 fps does not disappoint. I have shot the 80g Sierra blitz boat tail at 3800 with great accuracy using IMR 4831 and R19, so the 80g Nosler ballistic tips should work in the AI on deer.

ON an eight twist, play with some bullets on deer. I and others have found that the 105 Berger vld H is worth building a rifle around, and 3350 should be very dooable in the AI. A friend is shooting the 95g Nosler ballistic tips at 3500, and he will not even talk of using another bullet in his AI, his is a 10T.

The speed causes tremendous hydrostatic shock in the animal's body, and innards are soup. More often than not, the animals flop on the spot.

Thanks for the great info. I have barnes and hammers to test in addition to 75, 87 vmaxs, 80 sierra, and some others. Just waiting on the barrel. Hopefully ships this week

Seabeeken, for that 8T, this would be a hammer, available from a sponsor on this site:

I shot the 117g Ornx bullets in factory 257 Weatherby years ago. A pard killed six bulls with them, DRT shots.

80-85g love IMR 4831 and R#19, and primer choices for each powder is a critical part of the load development.';

Be sure and check the pressure ring on the 87g V max, I have a lot that is .2435 which is what my throat dia is, so that and the 75g V max are a no go for this chamber.

I'm agreeing that the 70 grain BK is very tough to beat for accuracy and explosiveness. Followed very closely with the 75 max and the 70 grain BT. I shot those and the 80 grain Sierra blitz in my 6mm AI on ground hogs and foxes. I sold that rifle but it was a real thumper with a 28" Krieger on it!

Seabeeken, for that 8T, this would be a hammer, available from a sponsor on this site:

I shot the 117g Ornx bullets in factory 257 Weatherby years ago. A pard killed six bulls with them, DRT shots.

80-85g love IMR 4831 and R#19, and primer choices for each powder is a critical part of the load development.';

Be sure and check the pressure ring on the 87g V max, I have a lot that is .2435 which is what my throat dia is, so that and the 75g V max are a no go for this chamber.
Theyre here in nc. I like that 76 gr tip strike. Ill get a box to test

Last year I tried the 80 grain Barnes TTSX at a little over 3700 in my 240 (26" Krieger 7.5 twist). It shot very well and dropped a big doe as if she was pole axed. I'll probably use that load a little more this year.