Which Action for Long Range .260 Rem?

Thank you all for the replies. A ton of information to absorb.

I realize a factory .260 would be the easy button but figured a custom would be more fun.
Thinking .260 AI would be a good possibility, how about a 6.5x47?
Not ruling out a 6mm of some flavor, or others either I guess. I'm not necessarily looking for a speed demon but a good, reliably accurate round to practice with out to 1000+ and occasionally poke a varmint of some sort.

This is going to be a fairly long process as I gather parts and make plans.

Thanks again for all the replies!

Ron

Last edited:
The "EZ- Button" ,..
IF, you can "Stomach", the 6.5 Creedmoor "Naysayer's", Just buy, a Tikka T-3 not-Fluted, in 6.5 Creed and run the 130 gr. ELD-M's at OVER 2,800 FPS and go have Fun,.. CHEAPLY ! I love my 6.5 CREEDMOOR Tikka, as it's Accurate ( sub 1/2 MOA ), LOW recoil and, Awesome,. Barrel "Life" !
Then, use action to, re-barrel,.. "SomeDay",.. Easy-Peasey !

IF, you can "Stomach", the 6.5 Creedmoor "Naysayer's", Just buy, a Tikka T-3 not-Fluted, in 6.5 Creed and run the 130 gr. ELD-M's at OVER 2,800 FPS and go have Fun,.. CHEAPLY ! I love my 6.5 CREEDMOOR, Tikka, it's Accurate ( sub 1/2 MOA ), LOW recoil and, Awesome,. Barrel "Life" !
Then, use action to, re-barrel,.. "SomeDay" !
The naysayers don't bother me but I'd like something different. I started out thinking .308 but that thought progressed to where we are at today...

I agree on the 260AI since this is the route I went. 😁

Wasn't sure if the OP wanted to deal with fireforming so I didn't suggest. I wouldn't however go 6.5x55 purely due to brass availability. There will be MANy more choices for good brass in 260.
I have fireforming loads shooting sub 1/3 moa easy. I wouldn't say you have to "deal" with fireforming.

Plus side is I'm shooting 260ai 140gn hybrids (26" barrel) right with the 6.5prc at 3045fps. I would recommend a medium action at the least, especially if the OP is wanting to shoot long monos.

Watch, Texas Plinking Thousand Yard, 1 MOA steel Challenge on YouTube and, IT will convince you that, the 6.5 Creed is,.. HERE to STAY !
Most of, the .308's,.. STRUGGLE at,.. 1,000 yds !
The 6.5 Creed and FAST High BC bullets in, the 6mm's, ARE,.. winning !
WATCH the Group's forming, around, the Plates the .308's were, Scattered,.. everywhere !.
Good luck with YOUR Choice,.. Take your TIME !
Most of ALL,. Have Fun !

Last edited:
Hello all,

Just starting to kick around the idea of having a custom .260 built for a long range practice/coyote/wolf/prairie dog rifle.

I don't know squat about custom actions. What would you all suggest?

I also would like suggestions on the other particulars of a custom long range rifle including the smith to build it.

I'd like to run heavy monos, but not mandatory- again, I'd like suggestions.

Thank you in advance.

Ron
I like Tuebor and Terminus actions. Both have less than 90° bolts on them so my hand stays farther away from the scope when cylcing the action. That said, for what you want an xm length action would probably be better. A 260 with a chamber throated for a 156 berger (similar length to a heavy mono) will have a C.O.A.L. of about 3.100". Most short action mag boxes top out at about 2.980".

The "EZ- Button" ,..
IF, you can "Stomach", the 6.5 Creedmoor "Naysayer's", Just buy, a Tikka T-3 not-Fluted, in 6.5 Creed and run the 130 gr. ELD-M's at OVER 2,800 FPS and go have Fun,.. CHEAPLY ! I love my 6.5 CREEDMOOR Tikka, as it's Accurate ( sub 1/2 MOA ), LOW recoil and, Awesome,. Barrel "Life" !
Then, use action to, re-barrel,.. "SomeDay",.. Easy-Peasey !
Watch, Texas Plinking Thousand Yard, 1 MOA steel Challenge on YouTube and, IT will convince you that, the 6.5 Creed is,.. HERE to STAY !
Most of, the .308's,.. STRUGGLE at,.. 1,000 yds !
The 6.5 Creed and FAST High BC bullets in, the 6mm's, ARE winning !
WATCH the Group's forming, around, the Plates.
Good luck with YOUR Choice,.. Take your TIME !
Most of ALL,. Have Fun !
Agreed! I honestly do not understand the hatred, but you know what Callahan says about opinions. Another advantage is the variety and availability of on-the-shelf and online ammo offerings.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about the Unknown Munitions short XL magazine, but it says 3.150" inside. which would be perfect for a 260 ai. if this magazine works with a short action, I'd talk to @Jud96. Pierce Engineering makes a great action.
Thank you! Yes we just received the UM bottom metal and XL short action magazine yesterday. It fit right up to a Pierce Skele-Ti (same as a Shadow but Titanium) and it fed a 300WSM loaded with a 200.20X at 3.135" OAL flawlessly with no modifications to the action, just our standard Wyatt box cut. I'll 100% be using this bottom metal and magazine in future builds for myself. In my opinion it's a game changer for our short actions. It opens up a lot of possibilities for cartridges like the 260 AI, 6.5-284, 6.5 PRC, 7 SAUM, Sherman Max etc that previously needed a medium or long action, or be neutered with lighter bullets or heavy bullets shoved deep in the case.

Am I reading that correctly that a Tikka can be home assembled?
This does come down to your budget, but I'd go with a 700 clone custom action. You'll spend an additional $400ish to get into an opening price point option a little more if you want more options, but there are so many more trigger and stock options than with tikka or savage. My first build was a savage and it's fine if that is what your budget allows, but it doesn't compare to my bighorns with trigger tech triggers. I buy lots of the pieces through Northland Shooting Supply, great folks.

Do not be intimidated by assembling your own rifle. Compared to your goal of shooting at 1000 yards, putting a rifle together is child's play. The first time I did I it I was sure something was wrong because it couldn't be that simple…. It really is.

One good hack- only buy a go gauge, skip the no-go. Look up the scotch tape method. More accurate and you save money.

We can help you out at Pierce Engineering. We have a lot of options in both stainless and titanium. Our short actions are available as single shots, BDL length mag box, Wyatt box, AW cut, and with the Wyatt box cut we can run the new Unknown Munitions Short XL bottom metal and magazines allowing 3.150" OAL. The actions can ordered bead blasted or cerakoted for no cost, or fully DLC or Nitrided for a small up charge. Let me know if you're interested! Thanks!
You would be wise to go this route. I have bought quite a few from them. They are a fantastic action and I've never dealt with any other company who even comes close to the customer service they provide.