Which cal for muledeer long range?

Shot this big Alberta mulie(185) yesterday at 480 yards with a 140 VLD out of my 6,5x284. Quartering away behind the rib cage, stone dead within ten steps. Typical performance for me with this round.

...I'll tell ya what makes me sick, people whining about the big bad man with the .338. I actually think it's hypocritical for somebody to shoot those poor little deer with something as badass as a 7mm STW (at least some try to tout it as the great thing ever) and try to tell me that I'm "over gunned". Most people would say the same thing about your super 7mm. My rifle just shoots a bigger bullet than yours, get over it man...

:D ...

...I just don't see anyone being able to justify using one. And your picture is exactly why. At that point, why even bother going to harvest the deer....Might as well let it lay and let the coyotes pick off what's left of the ruined....

Haha, a little dramatic aren't we? :D

Lost a few steaks, that was it. Seriously. Both shoulders were intact, neck meat was good, both hind quarters were fine, tenderloins were fine, R. Side backstraps were fine. L. Side backstraps... Well some of them were recovered...

I've seen plenty of 'experienced' hunters ruin more meat with a humble 243

Haha, a little dramatic aren't we? :D

Lost a few steaks, that was it. Seriously. Both shoulders were intact, neck meat was good, both hind quarters were fine, tenderloins were fine, R. Side backstraps were fine. L. Side backstraps... Well some of them were recovered...

I've seen plenty of 'experienced' hunters ruin more meat with a humble 243

I was just throwing out a little sarcastic humor there. :D

Man, I've seen deer ruined with just about everything other than a .223. Everything makes a difference. Velocity, bullet structure, shot location, what it hits, etc...

I was just expressing my opinion. Anyone can hunt with whatever is legal in their state, but don't post on an open internet forum about hunting whitetails with a .50 BMG and not expect some negative PR. You know what I mean? If you need something like that to kill a 200lb whitetail, then you don't need to be hunting. That's just my opinion. But if you wanna do it, and there's no law stating you can't...More power to you. And I'll stand up for your right to do it, but that doesn't mean that I necessarily agree with 100% of every detail of what you are doing. :D

I was just throwing out a little sarcastic humor there. :D

Man, I've seen deer ruined with just about everything other than a .223. Everything makes a difference. Velocity, bullet structure, shot location, what it hits, etc...

I was just expressing my opinion. Anyone can hunt with whatever is legal in their state, but don't post on an open internet forum about hunting whitetails with a .50 BMG and not expect some negative PR. You know what I mean? If you need something like that to kill a 200lb whitetail, then you don't need to be hunting. That's just my opinion. But if you wanna do it, and there's no law stating you can't...More power to you. And I'll stand up for your right to do it, but that doesn't mean that I necessarily agree with 100% of every detail of what you are doing. :D
I'd rather shoot them through the slats with a 50bmg than through the cheeks with a 223. I've seen what happens up here with a fly weight cal. like the 223 on our deer. If you don't knock out the clockwork they'll die a few minutes to a few hours later with miles covered in that time.
I've seen mule deer bucks take a pounding and keep going, but the does will die just fine on a 243/25-06 or bigger. We had one bigger buck (shot at a bit over 1/4 mile) ten years ago soak up three 300win and two 280 rem hits through the heart and lungs before folding. It was like a **** shooting gallery. I bought a 338 win for the next year but have since gone back to big 7mm's and 30's as we haven't seen another deer as bulletproof. The one deer I've taken with my 338 was at 550 yards and didn't take a step so I'll not cut on that cal... btw., the bullet hole was NOT unusual and it could have been a 7mm or 30cal. that did the damage.

Shot this big Alberta mulie(185) yesterday at 480 yards with a 140 VLD out of my 6,5x284. Quartering away behind the rib cage, stone dead within ten steps. Typical performance for me with this round.
Your killing me we hike 2-3000 vertical looking for deer like that big shouldered mountain mulies. Most of us out here use are elk rifles because thats what we pack and we have long ridge and canyon type

This what it looks like and most go years to ever get a good one,I know young guy that scores most years on 180 +

Attachments

• WP casc.jpg
    WP casc.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 94
I'd rather shoot them through the slats with a 50bmg than through the cheeks with a 223. I've seen what happens up here with a fly weight cal. like the 223 on our deer. If you don't knock out the clockwork they'll die a few minutes to a few hours later with miles covered in that time.
I've seen mule deer bucks take a pounding and keep going, but the does will die just fine on a 243/25-06 or bigger. We had one bigger buck (shot at a bit over 1/4 mile) ten years ago soak up three 300win and two 280 rem hits through the heart and lungs before folding. It was like a **** shooting gallery. I bought a 338 win for the next year but have since gone back to big 7mm's and 30's as we haven't seen another deer as bulletproof. The one deer I've taken with my 338 was at 550 yards and didn't take a step so I'll not cut on that cal... btw., the bullet hole was NOT unusual and it could have been a 7mm or 30cal. that did the damage.

I know, I just think alot of people didn't read all my comments sharing about how explosive a big 7's can also be at close range with the wrong bullets. It was a learning experience for sure.

I would build a 28" 7 Saum throated for the 180 bergers and fill the case with retumbo or H1000 and let her rip. Should be a hammer and would work for elk also.

Reuben

+1 for the 6.5-284! I hunt the big country of central Idaho, salmon river breaks, and snake river breaks for mulies and whitetail. It's very potent medicine. image.jpg

I really like my 6.5-300wm for deer and elk. I've shot two elk under 200yds, a antelope at 513, and a deer at 1006yds with it. I eat elk and trophy hunt deer so I don't shoot a lot of deer typically, I'm much too picky. 140's at 3230 in RWS brass or 3300fps in Winchester brass. The recoil is low and it's accurate as heck. I have a couple 7-300wm's as well and would shoot them in a heartbeat too but my 6.5 is a bit more accurate. If I want a lighter similar version I think I'd look at a 6.5 saum or Rich's 6.5 SS on a short action. They are about 100fps slower but I doubt the deer would notice.

Anything that will push a 160+g high bc bullet 3000fps will work IMHO

6.5-284 to 300 Rum. 6.5Sherman , 6.5-06, 270WSM,7WSM, 7Rm, 7STW, 7RUM,7-300WM, 270ROY,7ROY, 280AI, 300WM, ETC

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.