Which Action for Long Range .260 Rem?

Don't worry after you decide on the action then you have to decide on the barrel, trigger , and stock lots of decisions to make. And if you have a gunsmith assemble it for, you have to figure out who.

zermatt origins medium action - you can load 260, 7-08, 284, all long and the saums ect.
WTO switchlug - if you want to change barrels without removing the action. a little more cost but worth it in the long run IMO
barrel of your choice, zermatt uses savage small shank thread pattern. if you use the switchlug you will have to get the shoulder cut for it
Yep, I have one of the original actions (BHA SR2) on my .30 LARA before they become ZA.
1707574686468.png

You have several options for actions and price. I like Defiance and Impact action. The new Defiance classic SA will cost you $990 or a little less. Their top tier action the Deviant can run you as much $1745 with the Ruckus for $1545. Impact Precision 737 SA you are looking around $1450.
The Defiance Ruckus and Impact 737 allow for prefit barrels that you can spin on at yourself.
For a stock or chassis, the MDT XRS is $549.95, and you could also go with their Field stock for 299.95 that you can drop the barreled action yourself.
AG Composites new fiberglass line of stocks begins around $450 and goes up from there.
Stocks will require you to have a bottom metal. Hawkins M5 DBM will run you around $200 and magazines will cost $70-$150.
A barrel will run you anywhere from $450 to $900 depending on the company and material.
Triggers would be $175 to $350 depending on the brand.
A muzzle break will be in the $175 to $300 range.
You can expect to pay anywhere from $2500 to $5500 depending on your choice of components you choose.
Good luck on your build.

Am I reading that correctly that a Tikka can be home assembled?
YES ! My son put, a New Proof, 24" 7 PRC Barrel on his Tikka, T-3 and it shoots Sub 1/2 MOA 5 shot group's with, 180 gr. ELD-M's and StaBall HD.
The only "Tough part" was getting the old Barrel,.. off. Since he used, the Bigger Diameter, "Sendero" sized Barrel, he needed to buy a New stock for the barrel, to Fit in the forearm's Channel, better so that, there would be, NO "Flex" with using, a Bipod. He Bought a Nice Carbon Fiber stock from Stocky's.
Tikka actions ARE, very "smooth" and you can buy Trigger Springs, that will equal most of the TOP Triggers,. for Cheap !

We can help you out at Pierce Engineering. We have a lot of options in both stainless and titanium. Our short actions are available as single shots, BDL length mag box, Wyatt box, AW cut, and with the Wyatt box cut we can run the new Unknown Munitions Short XL bottom metal and magazines allowing 3.150" OAL. The actions can ordered bead blasted or cerakoted for no cost, or fully DLC or Nitrided for a small up charge. Let me know if you're interested! Thanks!
OP this is the way to go without having to spend the $2k on a BAT Vesper action. This is why I asked if you were going to run at SAAMI length.

The 260 will be more versatile and blow the 6.5 Needmoor away when the bullet is properly placed in the case. Unfortunately you will run out of room in a typical short action. You will need a custom reamer to do this, but it's a simple process and you will get exactly what you want. Set the bullet of choice in a case and send it to your gunsmith and he will order the reamer needed.

I wouldn't run a 260 in a long action personally. If I'm going to go to a long action I'm going to run a long action case like a 6.5-280AI and get full performance from using the long action.

The truly easy button would be to get a Tikka chambered in 260 Remington. You would likely have to extend the throat a bit with a throating reamer to get maximum performance out of the 260 but you wouldn't have to go full custom and would save a ton of money.

I'm not a fan of the 260 Remington. Initial wrong twist, poor accuracy when it was first brought out. There are better 6.5s out there. I settled on 223 Remington as my distance coyote caliber. I wouldn't expect the 260 Remington to expand at all. Just my .02

OP this is the way to go without having to spend the $2k on a BAT Vesper action. This is why I asked if you were going to run at SAAMI length.

The 260 will be more versatile and blow the 6.5 Needmoor away when the bullet is properly placed in the case. Unfortunately you will run out of room in a typical short action. You will need a custom reamer to do this, but it's a simple process and you will get exactly what you want. Set the bullet of choice in a case and send it to your gunsmith and he will order the reamer needed.

I wouldn't run a 260 in a long action personally. If I'm going to go to a long action I'm going to run a long action case like a 6.5-280AI and get full performance from using the long action.

The truly easy button would be to get a Tikka chambered in 260 Remington. You would likely have to extend the throat a bit with a throating reamer to get maximum performance out of the 260 but you wouldn't have to go full custom and would save a ton of money.
Would a medium action work best for the 260? While leaving MT enough space for loads

I'm not a fan of the 260 Remington. Initial wrong twist, poor accuracy when it was first brought out. There are better 6.5s out there. I settled on 223 Remington as my distance coyote caliber. I wouldn't expect the 260 Remington to expand at all. Just my .02
For coyotes, the 260 will be messy when using the 95 grain VMax. I assure you they will violently explode on a coyote. The twist would be fine for that scenario as well.

Personally, I'd SKIP the .260 Rem Cart. and go with,.. the 6.5x55 Ackley Improved, .260 Ai, or, 6.5 Addiction.
Tikka's are very,.. "Modify-able" with, Trigger Springs, Bolt Stop's and, Magazines, to Fit, most Cart's.
My son used a Dremel Tool with a Wheel to cut a "relief" Ring around Barrel, next to action, ground a Flat for wrench then, barrel came off EASY !
I think he saw this "Trick", on YouTube

Last edited:
Personally, I'd SKIP the .260 Rem Cart. and go with,.. the 6.5x55 Ackley Improved, .260 Ai, or, 6.5 Addiction.
Tikka's are very,.. "Modify-able" with, Trigger Springs, Bolt Stop's and, Magazines, to Fit most, Cart's.
I agree on the 260AI since this is the route I went. 😁

Wasn't sure if the OP wanted to deal with fireforming so I didn't suggest. I wouldn't however go 6.5x55 purely due to brass availability. There will be MANy more choices for good brass in 260.

I agree on the 260AI since this is the route I went. 😁

Wasn't sure if the OP wanted to deal with fireforming so I didn't suggest. I wouldn't however go 6.5x55 purely due to brass availability. There will be MANy more choices for good brass in 260.
Lapua, has made Runs of, 6.5 x 55 and .260 Rem Brass but, finding them,.. may take some work.
BEFORE I ever buy, a Barrel, I buy at least, 200- 300 rounds of, Brass !
LOTs of "Love" for, the .260 Ackley Imp. !