Which .338 should I have built?

lv2hunt

Hello,
I am new to this board so please be patient with me if this topic has already been covered, I have read many posts concerning the various .338's available and have researched the different cartridges ballistics. I currently own a post '64.338 Winchester model 70 "XTR". with a 3.5x10x50 Weaver scope.
The hunting I do is almost always near canyons and steep ridges for Elk, Bear, and occasionally Moose, I have never felt comfortable taking any shots over 500 yds with my current rifle, and would like to build a custom rifle to reach out to 1,000 yards or more if neccesary.

After researching what .338 to build in depth, I have come up with three possible options: (Please let me know what would be the best route to take).

Option-1 My rifle, Model 70 .338 Win Mag accurized, and rebarreled with a Krieger #17 or #19 barrel and put into a A5 tactical Mcmillan stock.

Option-2 A Remington .338 in ultra mag with the same options as above.

Option-3 Buy a Sako M995 .338 Lapua; or build one from a Remington 700 action or scratch. If this is the best route to take which parts and action should I use?

Any information on this subject would be very helpful in my quest to build the perfect long range big bore. I would like the cost of this rifle to be between $1,500 and $2,500 dollars without the scope.

Thank you

Let me be the first to welcome you to the board. You'll like it here.

I've been toying with the same thought regarding which 338 to build.

I'm shooting a 338 Win that I have been working the kinks out of for practice. It doesn't have enough poop. Neither, in my opinion do the ones that you mentioned.

I'm looking at pushing a 250gr bullet at at least 3150. Don't ask me why /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The 338 Edge will do it. Kirby is working on a 338 on a Cheytack case. Goodgrouper is working on something that is very interesting. It should push the 250 @ 3150.

Do some searches on this board and you'll most likely find what you want. There are some top, and I mean top, gunsmiths here. They walk the walk and you'll be impressed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chris, I have a question for you reguarding the use of a Rem 700 action for building a 338 Lapua. Some say that this action is to small to handle that caliber. Any truth to this and what are your thoughts on this .
Thanks

The .338/300 RUM with a 30" barrel a bit of free bore and a good brake on 700 action pillar bedded stock.Know of several that shoot well and have plenty of energy using heavy bullets.Welcome to the board everyone here may not agree on everything but there are a lot of good information coming from many different facets of shooting...

All good information, thank you for the responses concerning my .338 build. So general consensus seems that building up my current model 70 .338 would be a waste of time and money for the accuracy I am hoping for, is this a correct assumption? If so I guess I will sell or trade it off.

Willy1,

Not to step on Chris's toes on this question but as a fellow smith I am sure Chris would agree with me that in a properly accurized and square Rem 700 receiver, there is plenty of bolt locking lug baring surface and shear area to handle the 338 Lapua easily.

I have built several, I know Chris has as well as has Shawn C.

The one thing I do recommend is using a Chromo moly receiver. Not that the stainless will not handle this round as it surely will but I prefer the harder chrome moly steel just as added insurance against bolt lug set back.

My 7mm AM is based on the Lapua case and is performing exceptionally well in the Rem 700 receivers.

Add an H-S Precision DM system and you have a great repeating extreme range receiver system.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

lv2 and Willy...

I traveled down this road as well...

The 338 pacs a punch! OK kills on one end wounds on the other.. but if you canhandle that the 250 gr and 300 gr bullets are HAMMERS! However, I don't know if it is necessary for 1K hunting.. there are some 30 cals that do this nicely. THe 300RUM and an action/chamber/throat that can handle the 220's and 240 gr SMK's will surly get the job done at 1K
Not meant to confuse you but there is an option. The poor mans 338 Lapua is the 338/300RUM but then you contend with Rem brass which is marginal

The Rem actions are working quite well for the big 338's and I know a few rifles that Chris built are screamers!

Thank you for your replies, it is great to finally talk to a group of skilled people on this subject. This information is helping me out a great deal in my decision of what to build concerning my new long-range 338.

After researching more on this site, and from information received here. I stumbled across the .338 Edge as an option, what do you all think of this rifle?

Chris and Fiftydriver,
You both sound like very experienced and competent gunsmiths, would either of your custom rem. 700 actions chambered in 338 Lapua be within my targeted price range?

Thank you,
Brandon

Ric When you talk about the 338/300 that is the same as a 338 edge? I have been following it on this board and it sounds like a real good long distance round. The part that I like about it is the availability of the brass even if it is not the best brass out their. You start getting into the 338 lm and the costs seem to go up very fast. Have you had any trigger time with either the 338/300 or the 338 edge? If so what are your feeling's on these compared to the 338 lm. I currently shoot a 300 ultra and think it is great. I have only shot out to 1000 yds but I think it is good for a fair bit more yet. My main concern in making any of these 338 cal guns is the actions. Every gun that I own is based on the Rem action so I am not to excited to change to something else.
Thanks

Willy,
Do you know what action the 338 Edge is built on and the approximate cost to have one built? It sounds like this may be the route to take in my 338 quest, it seems fair to say that the 338 Edge holds it's own against the 338 Lapua; is this a correct assumption?

Thanks,
Brandon

Willy 1,
Thanks for the information, I sent Shawn an e-mail to get further details about the .338 Edge. Does anyone have experience using Shawn's .338 Edge, how does it compare against the .338 Lapua?

Thanks,
Lv2hunt

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.