Should I brake it?

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by novaman64, Aug 28, 2009.

1. novaman64

novaman64 Well-Known Member

Working on swapping barrels on my 700 from a 243 to a 260. The gun will be used for both bench (fun at the range) and deer/pig hunting (so I will be huffing it around). Ordering up a 24" #5 contour (.700 @ the muzzle) SS fluted barrel. My smith recomended that I throw a brake on it, not for kick issues, but he said with that cartridge I will be able to watch the vapor trail and the bullet impact. The downside is they are louder. I was wondering what your guys opinions were on this? I have heard that the VAIS brakes arent as hard on the shooters ears as some others...

So should I go with a brake or not?

If I do go with a brake should I get a VAIS, Centershot Rifles Muscle Brake or a Kirby Allen Pain Killer?

2. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

I have one on my 260rem just beacuse I want zero recoil. If your not sure then get the brake with a threed protector so you can take it off if you dont like it.

3. prtaylor

prtaylor Well-Known Member

I have a brake on all of my rifles. I wouldn't be without one. I would recommend a brake from hollands, they are quite niice.:rolleyes:

4. MN Hunter

MN Hunter Well-Known Member

I have one of Center Shot Rifles 3port brake on my 300 win mag. I would highly recommend it.

5. gbp

gbp Well-Known Member

+1
    it will depend on your style of shooting mostly, just make sure you can take it off. i have breaks on a lot of rifles not because of sevear recoil but because i want to see the hits through the scope and if it takes several seconds of target acquisition it's all lost

6. ATH

ATH Well-Known Member

Brakes are a personal taste thing. You either like them, or you don't. The positives speak for themselves -- less recoil and spotting your own shots. However, personally I never really enjoyed shooting braked rifles and can't imagine hunting with one. Best thing is to shoot someone else's if you have never used one, then decide.

7. yobuck

yobuck Well-Known Member

i think your smith is correct. its far more important to watch your own hits, than the reduced recoil aspect . the upside more than offsets the downside.

8. Ernie

Ernie SPONSOR

I have several brakes from folks here, but the majority are Holland's new Radial Brake

9. novaman64

novaman64 Well-Known Member

Is the VAIS the only brake thats removable? I think the Hollands, Kirbys PK and the Muscle Brake are all timed so they cant be removed then throw a thread protector on?

10. Ernie

Ernie SPONSOR

You can remove solid bottomed brakes, but after a time they will begin to index a little past their original center.

11. unvisable

unvisable Member

It is generally mentioned that brakes are louder when attempting to list the negative aspects of brakes. I use some type of protection even when I shoot 22 lr. Maybe its because I am deaf from not using any for so many years, or because I have found that it cuts down on distraction.

My 2 cents ==> Brake anything above 22 lr and its a no lose proposition. If you want to reduce noise use a supressor. My wife is the only pretty thing I've ever had, and she makes lots of noise. The beauty in a rifle is in how well it shoots. IMHO noise should not really be in the mix when deciding to brake or not brake.

unvisable

12. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

I've been talking to a smith that uses the Edwards recoil reducers on lighter cals to help spot hits instead of a brake. I was going to brake my 270WSM just for spotting hits but he talked me out of it, he doesn't brake any thing till it gets to the 300 mag+ stuff. Just a thoughtlightbulb

13. rtv900

rtv900 Well-Known Member

I just picked up a rifle from Jim See at Center Shot. I love that Muscle Brake. It is a joy to shoot. I cant wait to shoot longer ranges and spot my shot.

14. azsugarbear

azsugarbear Well-Known Member

If you go with a brake, you need to consider what style of shooting you may be engaged in. The Vais brake can be very effective at recoil reduction, but a disaster if you are shoting prone in the dirt. Those radial style brakes can kick up a lot of dirt & debris into the scope lens. I eventually switched to the indexed brakes like the painkiller just because I could not predict the shooting situation in advance.