Where to begin!

bbradford71

Hello All (Newbi Here)

I have finally decided that I am going to start reloading, I recently bought a Savage 300 WSM and really am enjoying shooting it, very accurate and so much fun to plink away with.

I just bought a Lee press and all the proper dies and accessories that I will need, I have my manuals and have ready a couple books. Now I am ready to get started and just don't know where to start.

What I am looking for is some advice on what the best bullet is for all game from deer, hogs, elk, etc. I am looking from great knockdown, penatration, weight retentionl, etc.

I am also wanting a bullet that is a tack driver for the days I am bench shooting at 500-800 yards.

Thanks in advance

bbradford71

Reloading is a varry rewarding practice. My advice would be to read LOTS and keep a good log This will help you to compose the most accurate loads. As far as componets go I would suggest sticking to a heaver bullet for the ranges you discribed. Evey gun is different It is just a matter of finding a combo that works in your gun. I like the 200 Accubond is my 300 win mag. A varry good product to purchace is a chronograph. You will find it to be an essential tool in reloading. always work up to max and have fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.