Interesting article on bear spray vs. bear handgun defense

Alibiiv

Cans of bear spray good for target practice.

They might fend off a pussycat bear. Apt to **** off a determined one.
In a most tragic event last summer a couple in their 50s (I think), very experienced in the outdoors, were killed along with their border collie by a grizzly sow in Banff national park, Alberta, Canada. It is of note, the first responders found an emptied can of bear spray at the scene (as well as the bear, which was shot and killed when it took a run at the responders as well). A man, a woman, and a dog all killed in one violent encounter with a single bear, bear spray or not.

In a most tragic event last summer a couple in their 50s (I think), very experienced in the outdoors, were killed along with their border collie by a grizzly sow in Banff national park, Alberta, Canada. It is of note, the first responders found an emptied can of bear spray at the scene (as well as the bear, which was shot and killed when it took a run at the responders as well). A man, a woman, and a dog all killed in one violent encounter with a single bear, bear spray or not.
A fit man on his early 40s was killed by a sow brown bear about 30 miles from my residence ~ 2 years ago. Near Hope, Alaska.

Similar outcome... Responding officials found a completely dispersed can of bear spray next to his mutilated carcass.

Only bear incapable of maiming and/or killing is a dead bear. And bear spray doesn't kill them

Last edited:
A fit man on his early 40s was killed by a sow brown bear about 30 miles from my residence ~ 2 years ago. Near Hope, Alaska.

Similar outcome... Responding officials found a completely dispersed can of bear spray next to his mutilated carcass.

Only bear incapable of maiming and/or killing is a dead bear. And bear spray doesn't kill the.
On a happier note, I heard a good report a while ago about a determined MAN who was not stopped by it either. Older middle age construction worker from around here was in the city and there was a road rage incident involving some younger gang thug type who motioned for this man to come to his window to talk. He shouldn't have gone over there at all but when he did the punk blasted him in the face with bear spray. It did not go the way he thought it would 🤣. Another reason to wear one's seat belt…the punk wasn't wearing his and this man, in a great deal of pain, nonetheless PULLED HIM THROUGH THE DRIVERSIDE WINDOW AND BEAT THE EVERLOVING 💩 out of him, bad enough to put him in the hospital. And, in a stunning turn of events, even here in Canada where you aren't supposed to defend yourself, this was ruled totally justified self defense and the guy faced no charges. I love a happy ending.

But the point was, if a determined and angry enough human man can fight through bear spray and physically destroy the one who sprayed it, what do you imagine an 800 pound killing machine of an animal could do?

Wife had a few of her friends from work over after an outing. One was giving her a hard time about always packing a gun (lots of, how shall we say "main stream" view points in the peer group). We have a house located in a location in Anchorge that means we host a lot of folks traveling through. Odd unintended side effect is we end up with an inordinate amount of bear spray cans that folks buy for vacation but can't take back home on the plane. Probably have a 5 gallon pail of them from the last summer.

Someone left a few trainer ones at some point so we marched out side put up a "target" and let it fly. Rather impressive range still didn't get much.... because it was a little breezy that day. My drive way was much more protected than the hill they had been on, but still windy enough there was about ad much on us from blow back as the "target". Volunteered to let them try with real spray, but I'd be inside as I'm not fan of second hand pepper spray.

Bullets have wind drift, but nothing like a thickened aerosol... not many dead calm days where we recreate so bullets it is.

Been tearing their "studies" apart for years discussing this.

Herrero and Smith are trash, need to be hung.

Another person who realized that what he had taken as gospel (Smith and Herrero's BS), was, just not so, and he also tears apart another "studies" BS.

Wife had a few of her friends from work over after an outing. One was giving her a hard time about always packing a gun (lots of, how shall we say "main stream" view points in the peer group). We have a house located in a location in Anchorge that means we host a lot of folks traveling through. Odd unintended side effect is we end up with an inordinate amount of bear spray cans that folks buy for vacation but can't take back home on the plane. Probably have a 5 gallon pail of them from the last summer.

Someone left a few trainer ones at some point so we marched out side put up a "target" and let it fly. Rather impressive range still didn't get much.... because it was a little breezy that day. My drive way was much more protected than the hill they had been on, but still windy enough there was about ad much on us from blow back as the "target". Volunteered to let them try with real spray, but I'd be inside as I'm not fan of second hand pepper spray.

Bullets have wind drift, but nothing like a thickened aerosol... not many dead calm days where we recreate so bullets it is.
That's a great point. I always hear people argue that in the heat of the moment most people can't hit the broadside of a barn with a handgun….is the assumption that the average joe will magically become a calm and collected marksman if he's holding a spray can instead? 🤣

All I can say, is I REQUIRE anyone hunting my farms to have a side arm and be able to use it. It was all fun and games until it came down to an aggressive bear that would not back down last year. I had already drawn my sidearm, but when he continued and got within my 10 foot safe perimeter, I encouraged him to leave.

Haha…happens every time…
Alison Brie Pain GIF