Weirdest Noise

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
Well this morning right after the dawn Jill and I both heard this Bam Bam bam knock bam knock bam bam bam. and it kept up. We thought that maybe one of our cats got stuck somewhere and was sending Morse code for help. Sounded like a Wood Pecker, but how would a Wood Pecker get into our house. Looked everywhere in the house and then the noise stopped. Really pi###sed Jill off because she wanted to sleep some more.
I was just sitting here at 12:00 pm working on the laptop and it started again. I turned off all sounds from the TV and tried to follow the sound. Well it lead me to the back door and back deck. as I stepped out on the deck a WOOD PECKER flew out. It must have been drilling holes in our deck joists to get the Carpenter Bees.
This damage was just from this morning. Now I have to replace that Brace.
I can see the Wood Pecker sitting on a tree limb LOOKING AT ME waiting to come back.

Attachments

• Wood Pecker.jpg
    Wood Pecker.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Wood Pecker1.jpg
    Wood Pecker1.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 76
Ouch!!! Looks like he might need a 22 lr to persuade him to stop. Some subs and a can will make quick and quiet work of him.
It a female and nice colors on the feathers. They are always in out trees eating bugs and we like that. Would rather not kill a beautiful bird that eats bugs. Just don't want our house having holes in it. First time drilling holes on our house. Now several years ago they got to our outside picnic table and drilled holes just like the picture of our deck.

Well this morning right after the dawn Jill and I both heard this Bam Bam bam knock bam knock bam bam bam. and it kept up. We thought that maybe one of our cats got stuck somewhere and was sending Morse code for help. Sounded like a Wood Pecker, but how would a Wood Pecker get into our house. Looked everywhere in the house and then the noise stopped. Really pi###sed Jill off because she wanted to sleep some more.
I was just sitting here at 12:00 pm working on the laptop and it started again. I turned off all sounds from the TV and tried to follow the sound. Well it lead me to the back door and back deck. as I stepped out on the deck a WOOD PECKER flew out. It must have been drilling holes in our deck joists to get the Carpenter Bees.
This damage was just from this morning. Now I have to replace that Brace.
I can see the Wood Pecker sitting on a tree limb LOOKING AT ME waiting to come back.
This isn't over, you know.....

It's that time of year for carpenter bees! I used them for a flimsy excuse to buy a new gun! 😊 I used to use bird shot in a Walther pistol, but it wouldn't extract them, so I HAD to buy a Smith M617 revolver!
~Steve

Two things being described here. First is the "territorial hammering" where the male woodpeckers drum on anything(they love metal gutters and downspouts) that will generate noise to warn other males that this is their territory. The one boring into the brace is after grubs, ants or termites. I guarantee if you cut that brace you will find a rotten/eaten spot from bugs of some sort. They don't just randomly start blasting into a piece of wood unless they know there are bugs/larvae inside. The hammering should stop as summer approaches, the one attacking the brace will continue until there is no more food to be had.