Noise levels measured tests?

adk hunter

Good evening,

This weekend I was helping my Nephew and his buddy shoot. The two rifles were a Kimber ADK in .308 with 16'' barrel and vias style muzzle brake and a .300 WM Christensen Ridgeline with a 26'' barrel. The decibels and concussion from the .308 became unbearable and we wound up standing behind the shed with a large plexiglass window to watch through.

I am very interested in the current craze shorter magnums and brakes if anyone has put meaningful study to this topic or if it is all anecdotal like I observed. Seems easier to measure than recoil, velocity and other tests conducted?? I dislike really long barrels but think the blast going too short may be more damaging than I gave weight to previously.

My guess is 2/3's of the country is going to end up buying suppressors where legal.

Any thoughts or links appreciated!

Adk.

This is the only work that I am familiar with on the subject.

Fairly comprehensive, and builds a good foundation;

It covers a bunch of different brakes, a few suppressors and of course bare muzzle for a baseline.

Great post, I look forward to more shooters weighing in on the subject and I sure wish suppressors were legal in Canuckistan!