Anybody built a "shooting tube" for range noise suppression??

G

Anybody built a \"shooting tube\" for range noise suppression??

Just wondering if anyone has built/used a noise suppression tube for your range....not talking a firearm suppressor here.....just a tube to shoot through to lessen the noise on the range. I've heard of them being built with 55 gallon drums with baffles but thought I'd ask for idea/experience here before I re-invented the wheel.I have a 100 yard range out my back door and the neighbors would appreciate it if I could reduce the noise........

Re: Anybody built a \"shooting tube\" for range noise suppression??

I saw some up in Green Ridge State Forest rifle range but didn't pay much attention.

Do you know how a glass pack muffler is constructed? Tube within a tube. something to think about

Gonhuntin,

I used a 20' plastic culvert when i was going to shoot for a couple of hours.My neighbor across the road said it was much quieter.
I was shooting with it on two saw horses and put six bats of insulation in it.I didn't put much time into it as you see so it could be improved on alot.The price is over $200 if my memory serves ,if i were going to get serious with one i think i'd build one out of wood.Wood is easy to work with and you could easily put a good muffling material inside.
When i get squared away in Colorado i'm going to build a shooting house shed --with a system like that.
It'll keep you neighborly , much more than nothing at all!! Mike

I saw a tube made out of used tires and it worked pretty well. Pretty cheap to make also!

Rube Goldberg, Here we come /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Used 2 55 gal plastic drums end to end connected to 2 20 gal drums connected end to end.

Results were amazing...............amazingly loud. It lowered the pitch quite a bit and softened the concussion but enlarged the concussion.

It was a hoot! People came out of their house to see what was going on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Since I've stepped up to the 338 w/a brake they quit bitchin' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I'm working on a new device though, gotta keep piece in the neighborhood /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Will do pics when finished.

When I was stationed at Holloman AFB, N.M. I shot at the range on the base. They used the big cement culvert that you would find going under a road. It would be a very permanent job and probably pretty expensive (and heavy) but it worked well. I do remember there being quite a bit of concussion, but I am sure the people near the range appreciated the noise reduction.

They use 55 gallon drums at our local range. They have 2x2' cut outs on each end and are loosely packed with wire mesh. They do work to a degree and may help; your neighbors will still hear your shots, but it won't be the sharp crack they've been experiencing.

If you shoot a magnum caliber, it will be you who is doing the complaining. The muzzle flash becomes very pronounced and like others have said, the blow back out of the drum is enough to knock your hat right off your head.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts