Polar bear defensive handgun

At this stage I couldn't care less about the efficacy of the chosen tool against the big bears, so many threads and so much pointless postulating I've switched teams and am now pulling for the bears...

Svalbard sounds like an interesting place to go and work, don't think I'll get the wife to the high artic but maybe for a summer.

Some day I'll fill the fish hold of the boat with diesel and head north, while certain the nw passage is about like seeing South Idaho sage brush it still had to feel absolutely wild.

S&w 69 combat
2.7" bbl
44magnum
34oz

Ruger SRH Alaskan
454 casul
2.2"
48oz

S&W x frame
500 s&w
3.5"
56oz

I run the ruger 454 but if I had to do it again I would go with the ruger but in a 45colt with the 4" bbl (for grizz) it will get the same velocitys as the 2.2" barreled casull with less recoil. Or might even go with the s&w 44magnum but 34oz is starting to get light for 44magnum +p loads but I'd still like to try it and find out.

10mm can do well and get more rounds off but say for a corny analogy. You get into a fight with an nfl lineman and you have the option to be backed up by a prime Mike Tyson or a prime Oscar del la hoya, who you going to choose. I mean we are talking about potentially running into a 12' bear charging you. 4" 454casull in my opinion is the smallest I'd go with.

Since you have a lot of experience with auto pistols, maybe a desert eagle in one of the more powerful calibers would be interesting ?

Some people are more experienced with revolvers and that "hold", while others are more trained with pistols. My personal experience is that the transition between the two is not always so straightforward and rewarding.
I've shot the desert eagle .44 magnum version and in my VERY limited experience it did not inspire confidence…now this may be because it was a rimmed round out of a magazine but that thing jammed or failed to feed more than once in the session I got to play with the thing. Additionally, it felt like wielding a cinder block to me AND doesn't have a meaningful capacity advantage over a revolver in my opinion, for whatever it's worth. I'd vote revolver all day OR if it must be a semi auto pistol it wouldn't be the desert eagle. All handgun rounds are underkill on big bears anyway, but for a semi maybe one of the .460 Rowland guns? Or even the 10mm? Again, very small round for a very big critter but if the op is intimately familiar with glocks to begin with perhaps a glock 10mm with those buffalo bore or underwood hard casts might be a good compromise? Certainly more bone breaking and penetrating ability than any 9mm!

At this stage I couldn't care less about the efficacy of the chosen tool against the big bears, so many threads and so much pointless postulating I've switched teams and am now pulling for the bears...

Svalbard sounds like an interesting place to go and work, don't think I'll get the wife to the high artic but maybe for a summer.

Some day I'll fill the fish hold of the boat with diesel and head north, while certain the nw passage is about like seeing South Idaho sage brush it still had to feel absolutely wild.
I'm about done with this bear thread, as most posting will never see one except in a zoo, ya'll can keep your handguns as most in a fast furious surprise attack will be useless,the element of surprise will kill you, something that will never happen in my case as the guard dog can't be surprised, say what you will many Alaskan guides choose what i've carried in Polebridge for years a fast deploying shotgun, first round 000 buck,3in or 3.5 running at 1450 fps,the 3 in will hit with 3000 ft pound of energy within 50 yards, the second 3.5 will hit at 3800 ft pounds,this will get any grizzlies attention fast,and likely stop him in his tracks the next one will a 666 grain Magnum crush if he has any fight, will end his onslaught. In 15 years we've encountered 10 bears,we knew he was in the area with plenty of time to avoid surprises, as a perfectly trained German Shepperd import has always been with us, same goes when in cat country.Unless you're extremely cool under fire and well trained most will fail,as far as killing a bear no desire to do so, but not worried of the consequences should it happen. Only bear I've killed was a black bear 370 lbs in Pa with a crossbow.The black dog is 3 and has completed his degrees in everything,guard, attack,drugs,tracking,Slovakian import.Bear insurance that will pays to have,shotgun 6lbs with sling can carry all day with no worries,deploys instantly.

Attachments

• cb.jpeg
    cb.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 10
  • blk.jpg
    blk.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 10
  • mb.jpeg
    mb.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 12
  • mb1.jpeg
    mb1.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I've shot the desert eagle .44 magnum version and in my VERY limited experience it did not inspire confidence…now this may be because it was a rimmed round out of a magazine but that thing jammed or failed to feed more than once in the session I got to play with the thing. Additionally, it felt like wielding a cinder block to me AND doesn't have a meaningful capacity advantage over a revolver in my opinion, for whatever it's worth. I'd vote revolver all day OR if it must be a semi auto pistol it wouldn't be the desert eagle. All handgun rounds are underkill on big bears anyway, but for a semi maybe one of the .460 Rowland guns? Or even the 10mm? Again, very small round for a very big critter but if the op is intimately familiar with glocks to begin with perhaps a glock 10mm with those buffalo bore or underwood hard casts might be a good compromise? Certainly more bone breaking and penetrating ability than any 9mm!
I know the first generation weight a little over 4 lbs empty. Who would want to carry that around? I tried, and traded it for the Sig226. Wish I had kept it just to have, but not to carry anywhere

I'm about done with this bear thread, as most posting will never see one except in a zoo, ya'll can keep your handguns as most in a fast furious surprise attack will be useless,the element of surprise will kill you, something that will never happen in my case as the guard dog can't be surprised, say what you will many Alaskan guides choose what i've carried in Polebridge for years a fast deploying shotgun, first round 000 buck,3in or 3.5 running at 1450 fps,the 3 in will hit with 3000 ft pound of energy within 50 yards, the second 3.5 will hit at 3800 ft pounds,this will get any grizzlies attention fast,and likely stop him in his tracks the next one will a 666 grain Magnum crush if he has any fight, will end his onslaught. In 15 years we've encountered 10 bears,we knew he was in the area with plenty of time to avoid surprises, as a perfectly trained German Shepperd import has always been with us, same goes when in cat country.Unless you're extremely cool under fire and well trained most will fail,as far as killing a bear no desire to do so, but not worried of the consequences should it happen. Only bear I've killed was a black bear 370 lbs in Pa with a crossbow.The black dog is 3 and has completed his degrees in everything,guard, attack,drugs,tracking,Slovakian import.Bear insurance that will pays to have,shotgun 6lbs with sling can carry all day with no worries,deplys instantly.
A trained dog is an asset. An untrained dog is a real liability. Most can't afford the dog you have. It's probably handy for you to bring along and good company. People not having daily or weekly outings in griz territory are less likely to have one. It's kind of like, "Wear your anti-bear suit". Not practical for most.

If on the person, handguns deter the bear in most encounters. Keep the gun easily accessible, use something like Buffalo Bore hardcast, travel in groups if possible. Of course there are instances in which you have no time to react; there a trained dog is worth his weight in gold, if you have a dog.

As I stated, being able to shoot any handgun well is the key. Then there is penetration and the wound cavity to the vitals. WFNL heavy lead have always been recommended. What about these Lehigh copper extreme penetrators? Any body have any experience with these bullets.

Hard cast and the penetrators . I know what I will stick with. Accuracy is King followed by penetration.

The best polar bear defense gun is probably a seacamp in 38 auto; super small, light weight, and still packs enough punch to blow your brains out while you're getting mauled.

The best polar bear defense gun is probably a seacamp in 38 auto; super small, light weight, and still packs enough punch to blow your brains out while you're getting mauled.
No need for such drastic measures ,just plan accordingly.

Attachments

• csm_MC_12_76_Schnitt_quer_e30df8d589.png
    csm_MC_12_76_Schnitt_quer_e30df8d589.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 6

Recent Posts