Black Bear self defense handgun/rifle

+1 with Hired Gun on the 10mm being a great carry caliber. I had one in a Kimber and loved it, but sold it to a family friend because ammo was almost impossible to find (before I started handloading). I now carry my Springfield XD in 40 S&W in a Blackhawk holster. Very handy, and the XD fit my hand better than the Glock, but same principle as Hired Gun.

Oh ya, I smoked a Blacktail deer with my 10mm, and Id be confident it or the 40 would do just fine on a black bear........or a color phase bear:D

For black bear defence a Marlin 308 lever gun with open sights in 200gr bullets.
Black bears are generaly scaredy cats and run from you. The exception is the old or disabled bear that is hungry and can no longer hunt and gets chased off kills by other bears. The other exception is the very young ones that have been chased away by momma. They are confused, ****ed off and have not learned to hunt well, so they are full of attitude. You could go your entire life in the bush and never have an encounter. In the past few years we had one blackie attack a fisherman who was cleaning fish at work. and another one attack a lady while she was cutting her lawn and one bear attack a hunter on a kill that the bear wanted so they do happen but it is rare.

winmag;379510 Very handy said:
I can't believe the difference of personal experiences and opinions on the fit of a Glock semi-auto in the hands of those who have used them. I can't stand how they fit and feel in my handgrip. I've get the sensation and feeling that they're about to fall out of my hand every time I touch a round off.

Other's love'em to death.

I don't what it is, but the Glock semi-autos really seem to be an example of you'll love the way they fit your hand, or you'll hate the way they fit your hand. Not bashing their reliability. A very reliable semi-auto from all accounts.

+1 with Hired Gun on the 10mm being a great carry caliber. I had one in a Kimber and loved it, but sold it to a family friend because ammo was almost impossible to find (before I started handloading). I now carry my Springfield XD in 40 S&W in a Blackhawk holster. Very handy, and the XD fit my hand better than the Glock, but same principle as Hired Gun.

Oh ya, I smoked a Blacktail deer with my 10mm, and Id be confident it or the 40 would do just fine on a black bear........or a color phase bear:D

winmag,

What load are you using in that 40?

My 'black bear defense' load in my MP 40 is 8.3g Longshot under a 180g XTP for 1215fps ave. MV. Book max is 8g at 1159fps. Hot load, but I don't shoot it for giggles, only load the case once, and have only shot it to develop the load and don't intend to shoot it unless I have to in the role I developed it for. In my 'test' it ate up a clip with no problems as fast as I could shoot it and was quite accurate.

Jon

Last edited:
When I shot the blacktail with the 10mm Kimber, I was using factory Buffalo bore bullets. With the XD, I just use a 180gr fmj. So far it likes Magtechs of all things. Oh well, when I get my supply of brass built up, Ill get some new Hornady dies for it, and play. So far I have never loaded for a handgun in semi auto.

My buddy and I went after a bear with handguns once (revolvers). I had a Ruger 44mag, and he had a S&W 357. We spotted one, but my buddy wanted me to shoot his S&W, so I did. That got the bear excited! That bear is now a rug he's got hangin on his wall with a hole thru its left ear...... I never could hit a dang thing with a Smith. Any how the bear got mad and we swiched our guns back in a hurry. He soaked up a few rounds from both guns in a quick hurry, and died. We were on foot, on the ground with the bear at about 30ish yards at that point (who was ****ed about the whole ear thing) and for some reason we decided it would be a good idea to swich guns........... real bright idea huh. Theres a whole lot more story to go with this, but you didnt ask to here a long winded story. I got a knack of keeping my guardian angel on his feet.
Havent tried with the .40 yet, and dont plan to. But Id be confident with it as my backup. As long as it didnt have hollowpoints, and the range was adequate for penetration. Usually as a back up you dont have to worry about range:D its all shot placement. I can be a bumbeling iddiot sometimes, but for some reason, when the heat is on, I'm zoned, Im relaxed, and shoot better than when I have to think about things, as long as Im confident with my gun before hand.

Oh and Phorwath, I here ya on the Glock fitting your hand thing. Thats why I went with the XD. But some folks love em for the way they fit. Either way, theyre both great guns. But Im still a 1911 fan.

Last edited:
Black bears are rarely a problem, but if a gun is needed I'd rather be a little over-gunned than under-gunned. If I was in your shoes I'd carry a 4" 44 mag with 240gr hollow points. Longer barrels are hard to draw from the holster and are just unweildy in general. If you're recoil shy, load accordingly.

I believe that it was JJack that has shot many, many black bears with handguns and prefers the 240 JHP for the instant reaction they get on bears, thus giving you time to get off additional shots.

I'm not a big fan of rifles in really tight quarters but they do pack the horsepower. Even the 30-30 is a powerhouse compared to most handgun cartridges.

winmag, when you say-but for some reason, when the heat is on, I'm zoned, Im relaxed, and shoot better than when I have to think about things, as long as Im confident with my gun before hand.

The reason may be that you've practiced alot with that gun and have the motor skills so it happens and works well naturally versus when you think about it. I've experienced this myself with a handgun I regularly practice with and if I just shoot I'm better but start thinking about everything too much and shooting goes to crap. I don't know just a thought.

winmag, when you say-but for some reason, when the heat is on, I'm zoned, Im relaxed, and shoot better than when I have to think about things, as long as Im confident with my gun before hand.

The reason may be that you've practiced alot with that gun and have the motor skills so it happens and works well naturally versus when you think about it. I've experienced this myself with a handgun I regularly practice with and if I just shoot I'm better but start thinking about everything too much and shooting goes to crap. I don't know just a thought.

Nialed it Chas. Im by NO means what I consider good with a handgun. But Im confident enough in my ability to put rounds on target it a timely manner. The only thing that puts that confidence there is a ton of practice, and alot of playing around (a.k.a. fun practice) ''betcha cant hit that sage rat..........'' kind of fun practice.
For me, just like any other tool, the more you use it the the better you get untill it becomes second nature. In crunch time it pays off.

(Not to be taken seriously)

I think its a **** fine caliber for bear protection. I have never been killed by a bear while carrying a 22 mag.

-Lone Gunman, regarding the .22WMR with regards to bears.

Back when I lived in Wyoming and hunted in Grizzly country I carried a .375 H&H Rifle and a .44 Mag Ruger Redhawk with Garrett's 330 grain +P loads. on my hip.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.