Planning to begin reloading, need help

94Winchester

The only experience I have reloading is pulling the leaver down on a press to reload shotgun shells when I was in high school but now I wish to start reloading for my rifle. What books on the subject should I read? Has any one used the Lee hand press kit? is it any good?

I think a great read for you would be Richard Lee's reloading manual. The first 1/4 of the book is all about reloading. If you read through that you'll have a very good foundation upon which to get started.

I like the fact that Lee doesn't produce bullets like the Hornady and Speer manuals, so the info in it I think is more well-rounded and unbiased.

Link to see it here:

Lee "Modern Reloading 2nd Edition" Reloading Manual - MidwayUSA

there is a large and free pamplet by rcbs:" intrdution to handloading" . call them monday morning have them send you one. i used a lee hand die in 1970. it worked. you will need a powder scale . i like your quotes at the bottom. also the front part of hornady manuals have a section on "how to" and "why this or that". also some public libraries have reloading manuals in their stock.

if you are going to load for 30-30 and 30-06 you can do real well with just VARGET for both.

I would suggest you get the book ABC'S of Reloading.When I started loading my own ammo last year I didn't know anyone that reloads,so I bought this book first and have been loading for over a year know for 38sp.-7MM Mag.-22-250-25-06 and 300 Win Mag. Also I read about different techniques on sites like this one that have helped me allot also.

The Lee hand press is "good" in that it works. Best used at the range, IMHO. I have one, use it for that and that only. It would be an unnecessary difficulty to do normal loading on it.

If you want a very good but compact and/or inexpensive press get the Lee "Reloader" press, mount it to a short board and "C" clamp the board where you need it to be. Later, if you do get deeper into it, the little press won't be a waste, you will still have lots of small tasks for it. I have two, one with a Universal decapper and one with a Lee Auto Prime II; love 'em!

i started with the lee dies you had to pound in and out. no press. i was fourteen. made me appreciate the rockerchucker i got a year and a half latter 1970. i loaded almost 2000 30-06 match loads last year with it. the press is 40. amortize the original capital cost . very low.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.