Where to begin for long range/precision reloading?

Rardoin is spot on. Use good brass. Work up a good load your rifle likes. Focus on keeping the powder charge, neck tension, shoulder bump and seating depth consistent. Then go shoot.

If you're just learning the basics, I would suggest you start with a smaller caliber, commonly used rifle (your .270?).
You'll save a lot on bullets and powder that way. Then, when you have the basics down, move up to your larger and more esoteric cartridges.

I actually don't have a smaller non-magnum caliber, smallest is the McWhorter 6.5 Ackley and it came with dies and load data.

I guess it would be the best place to begin, I already know what it is capable of at 500yds.

Darryle, all the premium equipment, tools and advice are great. But, if you don't already have a very extensive supply of components (powder, primers, and bullets which are very difficult to obtain presently) you should spend your money on factory ammo until or if these components become plentiful.

Darryle, all the premium equipment, tools and advice are great. But, if you don't already have a very extensive supply of components (powder, primers, and bullets which are very difficult to obtain presently) you should spend your money on factory ammo until or if these components become plentiful.

I have plenty of factory ammo to get me thru this hunting season and probably next, I have a lot of brass and bullets that came with some rifles, tons of bullets scavenged thru various forums for the 270 WSM and 358 Winchester, enough to get me up and running. Primers and powder will be the only thing that I can think of that I readily need. I need to find a load jumping off point for the 3 main calibers I am going to load for.

I have narrowed it down to the 270 WSM and 6.5 Ackley for long range plinking/hunting and the 325 WSM, 358 Winchester, 358, 375 and 458 Socom for my main every day hunting rifles.

I am getting rid of everything else factory rifle and plan on having a custom 7mm-08 built on a Wraith or TAC300 action to be bought in the near future.

I actually don't have a smaller non-magnum caliber, smallest is the McWhorter 6.5 Ackley and it came with dies and load data.

I guess it would be the best place to begin, I already know what it is capable of at 500yds.
Right here, there you go, do it. If you feel slightly uncomfortable going alone, find someone local to supervise or mentor the project.
We all started somewhere, duplication is easy, learn from it.

How big is your reloading area? I am going to build an outbuilding specifically for reloading and for cleaning/working on firearms. I think a 12' x 12' building heavily insulated with AC and a radiator heater will be just about perfect. I mentioned it and before I could get the idea out the girlfriend was pointing out the spot I was considering. Backed up to the woods, and protected from the west sun by the shop, she's ready to get started leveling the ground and laying it out.

We have already began the 150yd range, longest shot with the most safety, so these will be a great complement of each other.

Again, I really appreciate all of your help and suggestions!

Well mine is very Simple !
I use the trash can with a piece of plywood and cardboard to spray my brass . My tumbler is on the garage floor .
The bench/ tool box works great for me ! Its stuffed with all my goodies !
20190920_101027.jpg

I didnt have much room so when Homedepot had the black friday sale I grabbed the black tool box . I bought th he raised press platform and bolted it down !
I have rolled some perfect rounds at that bench ! Oh and a few that were not so good ! Ha ha

Rum Man

How big is your reloading area? I am going to build an outbuilding specifically for reloading and for cleaning/working on firearms. I think a 12' x 12' building heavily insulated with AC and a radiator heater will be just about perfect. I mentioned it and before I could get the idea out the girlfriend was pointing out the spot I was considering. Backed up to the woods, and protected from the west sun by the shop, she's ready to get started leveling the ground and laying it out.

We have already began the 150yd range, longest shot with the most safety, so these will be a great complement of each other.

Again, I really appreciate all of your help and suggestions!
I built my bench with a 4' x 8' piece of plywood (and cut about a foot off the front, so I could reach the back) with a nice finish, then urethaned the surface to protect it from solvents. Used 4x4's for legs. Bought a cheap, unfinished 4 drawer kitchen cabinet for storage of small items (gun parts, reloading tools, cleaning tools, etc) to put at one end, and a 2 drawer filing cabinet for articles and shot targets at the other end.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.