Best reloader for Precision long range?

Vamike9

What's the best value reloader kit for match loads? Is it better to get a kit or buy separately? Wanting to be able to shoot at least equal to factory match loads. I just want to be able to get a setup that allows me to shoot more so that I can get better. Any help is much appreciated.

I think the Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Single Stage Press Kit is a very good one. It comes with a digital scale with can be a little quicker than a beam scale and the priming tool is much better than the RCBS one. IMO anyway. Also the Hornady reloading book that comes with it is very good and will get you off on good footing.

RCBS makes a good one too, but I just feel he Hornady is a little better.

I am partial to an RCBS rock chucker press. Track down a used Rock Chucker...it will save you money and you will never wear it out. I am using the press my father bought in 1975. And I will probably give it to my son someday. Being able to load ammo that is better than factory ammo is more about your process and care in crafting the ammo than the equipment. I like to use a hand priming tool as it allows you to really feel that the primers are seated uniformly. If you are just starting out...I would suggest buying a good electronic scale, a powder measure and a powder trickler. I like to throw the charge a half a grain or so light and then use the trickler and the scale to finish the powder charge to the exact weight. I have Sierra, Hornady and Nosler manuals and I often consult the IMR/Hodgdon web site as well. It would be good if you have a buddy to walk you through the process and help you get everything set up. The best thing about reloading is being able to really tailor the loads development to you precise needs. Stay away from max loads until you really have your process down.

Thanks for the info guys. If you don't mind what's a list of must haves to reload? I'm assuming it's different lists for new and old brass?

Yes, the RCBS Rockchucker's one of the best.

Get a beam scale; they're more repeatable than digital ones and are impervious to temperature and electrical issues. You don't need exact charge weights; a 1/10th grain spread of all powder charges has better repeatability for burning than the best primer pellets made. That'll easily produce 1/2 MOA 15-shot test groups at 1000 yards if you and the rest of your stuff are up to it.

As for dies, the best commercial sizing one these days is a full length sizing die from Forster that they've honed the neck out to .002" smaller than a loaded round's neck diameter. Close seconds are full bushing dies from Redding or RCBS with a bushing diameter sized the same way. Those dies will make resized bottleneck cases straight enough that you could probably seat bullets with a ball peen hammer and get excellent accuracy. Use a standard seater and it'll do fine.

The standard Lee priming tool is very good, costs little and is easy to use.

A case headspace gauge to measure sized cases to ensure their shoulders are set back about .002" for best accuracy and very long case life. RCBS Precision Mic or Hornady LNL are good ones.

As for a list...you need a press, set of dies, a shell holder for the caliber, a scale, most likely a powder measure, a reloading tray and some type of caliper to measure cases, overall length and other items. A priming tool ( the lee model mentioned is a great inexpensive tool). Some case prep tools are nice to have...such as a chamfer/deburring tool and a primer pocket cleaner. You will accumulate lots of tools the longer you reload and your process will have more an more steps. Just have fun and be safe.

The Lyman Case length is a must have. And don't get the case lube pad and honey like case lube. Hornady "One Shot" spray is awesome.

I wish I hadn't got the Hornady press. Not that it's not good. Just don't like the extra bushing for fast die exchange. Pain in back side. Pretty much all presses are created equal.

A lot of good advice so far, but one thing you didn't mention was what caliber do you plan on shooting, and how much as well as the rifle set up. Can't really expect bench rest accuracy out of a bone stock rifle
A lot of the other equipment will come into play as well from the scale to the dies,
you will probably end up trickling your charge weights so a good trickler will come in handy
I use an older style Rock Chucker for all sizing duties with an RCBS sizing die, as well as a Lee Collet die, Redding competition seater die. powder is dispense with a Harrell's competition dispenser, omega trickler and a gem pro 250. I will also use an RCBS 10-10 scale.
I have a Wilson arbor press with in line seater dies as well.
I think a lot of it will come with technique and most importantly attention to detail OR OCD.
so long story short they are all good, its a matter of personnel preference,
if you can find a shop with floor model give them a try and see which one of them is more ergonomically correct for you

Memo

Buy you a redding press big boss with out any bushings they handle everything, an you don't have to sneak a bullet under the bottom of a die to load belted mags,as far as tools BUY GOOD brand NAME TOOLS NOT LEE.rcbs Lyman Redding Wilson all good stuff,it will keep you from learning 50$ lessons

What's the best value reloader kit for match loads? Is it better to get a kit or buy separately? Wanting to be able to shoot at least equal to factory match loads. I just want to be able to get a setup that allows me to shoot more so that I can get better. Any help is much appreciated.

Hey Mike,

I'm in Windsor, where abouts in VA are you? If you're close we'll have to get together and compare reloading gear. I'm getting my setup together and will be loading for my 300WM as soon as I'm back from Afghanistan.

DocB

Get a Forester Co-Ax press if you can afford it. The next choice would be one of the Redding single stage presses. Get a good beam balance such as the RCBS 5-0-5. It will give fewer problems.

I've used a bunch of different presses and my favorite by far is the Redding T7 turret press. It allows you to keep up to 7 dies on the turret head, all set up and ready to go. Just pivot the head to use a different die.

If you want to go cheap the RCBS Rock Chucker kit is a good value. I agree with RustyRick on the Hornady, it's a decent enough press but those bushings are a pain in the anterior region.

I like Redding or Forster full length dies, and micrometer seating dies if possible. Redding Master Hunter sets are what I mostly use. Good old RCBS dies are not that bad though and will produce ammo every bit as good as factory stuff, if not better.

Yes, I have 2 precision rifles I plan to load for eventually. One is a 308 and the other is a 223 / 556. Both rifles have produced consistent .5 moa groupings at 100 yards and maintained that consistency at further distance is as well. I'll probably start out with the 223 and then go for the 308 later. Any suggestions would be very helpful for those calibers. Thanks guys for all the help.

Get a Forester Co-Ax press if you can afford it. The next choice would be one of the Redding single stage presses. Get a good beam balance such as the RCBS 5-0-5. It will give fewer problems.

no doubt the co-ax is the best!

but many turn out exceptional ammo with a rockchucker. I have both.

It takes experience with other presses to appreciate why the co-ax is the best.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts