What's the most accurate tool to get consistant primer seating depth?

supercrossbmx69

I use the RCBS automatic priming tool. It's fast and works but its not consistant enough for my liking. I try my hardest to put the same amount of pressure on the handle when I prime each case. But it clearly doesn't work out as I plan. I can tell just by looking at the primers depth that they don't all seat the same. And I can even feel the difference when I go over the primer with my thumb. So for best accuracy I want something that seats them securely in the pocket, all at the same depth!

I think you need to purchase a primer pocket uniformer.
It is a cutting tool to cut all primer pockets to a uniform depth.
I believe many reloading tool manufacturers make their own type. I use the RCBS uniformer that ia used on the electric case prep station and I have had no problems with its function.
Good luck. JW

I agree with JW.Get a pocket uniformer. Mine is from Sinclair and I've cut thousands of primer pockets with it. It never needs any attention and is just part of my routine
case prep.

+1 on the Sinclair uniformer, had mine 3 years still sharp and uniform pockets.

I like to seat primers by hand. I have an RCBS and K&M hand Priming tool. I really like the K&M because it is much Heavier built. You can feel the primers bottoming out. I also have the Sinclair uniformer.

A hammer...

Just kidding!

Uniform the holes as stated. I also give the case a half turn after seating a primer and then give them another go.

All benchrest shooters seat with a hand primer. There is a good reason for that. You can feel the primer going in and bottoming out. You can accuracy by seating to deep or not enough. Matt

I fitted an adjustable scew to my rcbs seater, now I can only seat to a certain depth and be more consistant. I tapped a hole through the handle and fitted the screw which pushes againts the body.

I fitted an adjustable scew to my rcbs seater, now I can only seat to a certain depth and be more consistant. I tapped a hole through the handle and fitted the screw which pushes againts the body.

Are you talking about an RCBS hand primer? The hand primer i had if you took out the piece you put the primer in; it would screw farther in or out and control depth. It is threaded in between the spring and end.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.