What Are the Best/Most Accurate bolt action rifles?

DougDownRange

I recently posted a thread about what caliber I should upgrade to for long range hunting in the west. Now, that I have an idea on that, What are the best guns out there that are accurate to 1000 yards? So far I've looked at Rem 700 Sendaro SF II and a Rem 700 XCR tactical long range. Are those good guns or should I look to a different company? I'm looking to spend 5k total including scope and muzzle brake.

Obviously good glass would be needed for shots that far as well. I've been looking at the Swaro Z5/Z6 and the NightForce NXS/ATACR...Thoughts?? I've heard swaro's are better glass but the NightForce is more durable. Does NightForce have the custom ballistic turret ring for ammo loads like Swaro's? Also do the red reticles on NightForce work well in high light conditions?

Thank you for all the advice,

Doug

For $5,000 I can give you advice on parts to buy to build a semi-custom that WILL shoot 1K.

I would buy a cheap 700 SPS in a magnum caliber. Chunk the stock, barrel, and trigger. Keep the bottom metal and mag assembly. Buy a Jewell trigger. Order a Bartlein/Rock Creek/Krieger/Broughton/Benchmark barrel blank (in caliber of your choice). Buy a nice HS Precision or Bell & Carlson Medalist stock. Have a well known smith build it. Buy an EGW HD 20 or 30 MOA base (20 should be fine). Some Seekins Precisions rings. And a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 with the MOAR reticle.

You might even have some cash leftover, and you'll have your 1K killing machine.

Just my thoughts.

Also, my appologies for your other thread getting derailed.

I recently posted a thread about what caliber I should upgrade to for long range hunting in the west. Now, that I have an idea on that, What are the best guns out there that are accurate to 1000 yards? So far I've looked at Rem 700 Sendaro SF II and a Rem 700 XCR tactical long range. Are those good guns or should I look to a different company? I'm looking to spend 5k total including scope and muzzle brake.

Obviously good glass would be needed for shots that far as well. I've been looking at the Swaro Z5/Z6 and the NightForce NXS/ATACR...Thoughts?? I've heard swaro's are better glass but the NightForce is more durable. Does NightForce have the custom ballistic turret ring for ammo loads like Swaro's? Also do the red reticles on NightForce work well in high light conditions?

Doug

Nightforce scope and mounts $1900 ,A custom action Bat or Stiller or any other $1300 , a custom barrel and chamber job $600 , A Jewell trigger $200, a McMillan stock $800 , Muzzle break $200, A good smith to put it all together , Yep you will be at 5k but a fine shooting rifle you would have . Do you need a smith recommended that can handle the job and give you the right information to get you shooting ? Or are you going with a factory rifle ? Get a factory gun shoot it, an order a custom barrel and get the action trued up and custom chamber job with a brake then your set too.

For $5,000 I can give you advice on parts to buy to build a semi-custom that WILL shoot 1K.

I would buy a cheap 700 SPS in a magnum caliber. Chunk the stock and barrel. Keep the bottom metal and mag assembly. Order a Bartlein/Rock Creek/Krieger/Broughton/Benchmark barrel blank (in caliber of your choice). Buy a nice HS Precision or Bell & Carlson Medalist stock. Have a well known smith build it. Buy an EGW HD 20 or 30 MOA base (20 should be fine). Some Seekins Precisions rings. And a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 with the MOAR reticle.

You might even have some cash leftover, and you'll have your 1K killing machine.

Just my thoughts.

You will probably get a lot of different opinion. But the above advise is probably the best you're going to get. But please remember he advised a well know smith.

Yeah, definitely use a well known smith with a good reputation. We have several right here on LRH that visit here daily. JE Custom, Kirby Allen, and several others I can't remember their names at the moment (my appologies guys).

Has anyone ever heard of score high gunsmithing? They're located in Albuquerque, NM (I live in NM) and they specialize in Rem 700s but it's a very common gun so I'm sure a lot of gunsmiths specialize in them.

Doug
With that budget check Len's store at the links above. His LR rifles get the job done and they are in your price range.

I would buy a cheap 700 SPS in a magnum caliber. Chunk the stock, barrel, and trigger. Keep the bottom metal and mag assembly. Buy a Jewell trigger. Order a Bartlein/Rock Creek/Krieger/Broughton/Benchmark barrel blank (in caliber of your choice). Buy a nice HS Precision or Bell & Carlson Medalist stock. Have a well known smith build it. Buy an EGW HD 20 or 30 MOA base (20 should be fine). Some Seekins Precisions rings. And a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 with the MOAR reticle.

Just my thoughts.

What do you think of this Mudrunner?

The Paladin $3500.00
Note: Must ship to FFL

Score High Gunsmithing, Muzzle brakes,Cerakote, Bedding Epoxy and Pillar Bedding kits

Paladin: (Noun, One who fights heroically for a noble cause.)

The Paladin, Is built on the time proven Remington 700 action blueprinted to our rigorous specifications. That action is then fitted with a premium quality, stainless Brux Barrel barrel with a 26 inch #16 light Palma contour. The barreled action is pillar bedded into a McMillan A-5 stock with our own quick disconnect adjustable comb and McMillan's spacer system adjustable length of pull.

Precision scope mounting is such a crucial part of a long range rifle we like to have your scope on hand for final mounting. Your rifle can only be as accurate as the relationship between the scope and rifle.

Blue Printed Remington 700 action
Brux Stainless match grade barrel #16 Lt Palma 26"
Any caliber suitable for short action
McMillan A-5 stock, 75% OD / 25%Black marble
Adjustable comb with Score High QD comb hardware
Spacer system adjustable length of pull
EGW 20 MOA Picatinny rail
TPS / TSR Tactical rings
Score High Tactical muzzle Brake
Badger Bolt knob
PTG M5 Bottom metal with 1 5rd. and 1 10rd. magazine.
Cerakote finish.

Has anyone ever heard of score high gunsmithing? They're located in Albuquerque, NM (I live in NM) and they specialize in Rem 700s but it's a very common gun so I'm sure a lot of gunsmiths specialize in them.

Mt late best friend had a rifle put together by Score High. I've shot it and it was a definite shooter. I would not hesitate to use them.

John

I feel its overpriced for what it is... And I would opt for a LA caliber, over the SA they offer. They offer alot of unnecessary "tacti-cool" things on their guns that jack the price up, like detachable mag assemblys, McMillan stocks, etc... Also, the price seems high for using 700 actions. If it was a custom action, the price would be more justifiable.

But those are just my opinions. My word is NOT the gospel, just one man's opinion. In the end, it is your money, and your decision. Only you have to live with your choice. Not me. So my opinion should mean very little. If you like it and that is what you want, go for it, and don't let my opinion sway you.

I will never try to steer anyone in a false direction, i'm not afraid to speak my mind, and I also don't sugarcoat things, which tends to **** people off, because most folks don't want to hear the truth. So, when it comes to my opinion, know it was given in earnest, but still take it with a grain of salt, because in the end, it is still just another opinion being thrown into the ring.

I feel its overpriced for what it is... And I would opt for a LA caliber, over the SA they offer. They offer alot of unnecessary "tacti-cool" things on their guns that jack the price up, like detachable mag assemblys, McMillan stocks, etc... Also, the price seems high for using 700 actions. If it was a custom action, the price would be more justifiable.

But those are just my opinions. My word is NOT the gospel, just one man's opinion. In the end, it is your money, and your decision. Only you have to live with your choice. Not me. So my opinion should mean very little. If you like it and that is what you want, go for it, and don't let my opinion sway you.

I will never try to steer anyone in a false direction, i'm not afraid to speak my mind, and I also don't sugarcoat things, which tends to **** people off, because most folks don't want to hear the truth. So, when it comes to my opinion, know it was given in earnest, but still take it with a grain of salt, because in the end, it is still just another opinion being thrown into the ring.

Great advice, I think sometimes we get sucked into the thought that a lot of tacti-cool stuff is required to have an effective tool. It just isn't so.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.