Whats the best bedding removal out there?

Jeffery1122

I recently bedded my Remington 700 barrel to my Bell and Carson stock, I didn't use enough release agent towards the top side of the barrel and now have glue on there. what do you guys use to take that glue off the barrel?

Place the barreled action in the freezer over night. This will sometimes break the bond because of the barreled action shrinkage in very cold conditions and the different coefficient of expansion of the two materials.

When you take it out of the freezer use a credit card or a tong depressor to prevent scratching to remove the excess bedding compound. To prevent this from happening again. Use paste wax or shoe polish and coat the entire action and barrel. I don't use the film release agents furnished because they sometimes slip and expose bare metal.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Would a heat gun like used to heat and remove paint work for this if used on a lower setting or kept at a distance ?

I would think that the penetrant mixture of ATF & Acetone would work it's way between the steel and the epoxy if given a little time to work.

I like the freezer idea it has less chance of doing harm to the cera coating that was put on the barrel recently . I'm thinking that J E Custom has been around the block once or twice and I have always liked to learn from people that have experienced it . I'm on this site to learn thank you all for the info .

I recently bedded my Remington 700 barrel to my Bell and Carson stock, I didn't use enough release agent towards the top side of the barrel and now have glue on there. what do you guys use to take that glue off the barrel?
Grind it out and start over or take it to some one who knows what they are doing.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.