whats in your pack?

Slaysesh

hey i have a eberlestock team elk pack. and i mostly go out for day long spot and stock hunts, not overnight, what do you take with you?

Hydration bladder, gps, flashlight, fire starter, game bags, knives, rope, food, painters drop cloth or big contractors bag, extra batteries. I plan for the event I have to spend the night. I also plan on quartering and hanging any game I get.

I also have that same basic stuff. But I also take some minor first aid stuff, little bit of food "in case". Didn't really think of contractors bags

Those big heavy duty contractors bags come in handy. You can cut them to make a tarp to lay on the ground when field dressing, put a head hole in them for an emergency rain poncho, make a wind break, emergency shelter or shade, etc., numerous uses and they don't weigh that much.

I never thought of contractor bags but I usually pack a space emergency blanket from REI , some large glow sticks , duct tape, mini zip ties and trioxane fire starter and some long burn matches combine will light about anything i can find ...

Dont forget a small trash bag or even a plastic grocery bag for putting over the glasses during snow squalls or minor showers. Old suspended ceiling tile make very
good fire starters. Break them in pieces, put them in a 5 gallon bucket with lid and
pour kerosene on them. A gallon of kero does a bucket full and 1 pc will start a fire
in a woodstove or fireplace without small kindling wood. (store outside) A few small pcs in a sandwich bag works well in the backpack. 1 match or 1 flip of your bic starts
the fire everytime.

You guys should consider carrying a Life Straw in your pack. I backpack hunt and always have my frame pack with a limited subset of gear, but I always carry a Life Straw. I used to carry my water filter with me, but the Life Straw is much lighter/smaller.

Over the years I always bump into guys that are lost right around sundown... they were out on day hunts from their truck, and they ALWAYS ask for water (and directions).

Life Straw costs $20 and are extremely light.

have one of those! didn't think of it myself, my wife ordered it and said here looks like a cool idea so i put it in my pack about a year ago

Here is what I carry on day hunts.

Knife, saw, first aid kit, water, food, kill kit, compass, some times a GPS, packable rain gear, fire kit, 550 cord, duct tape, couple of zip ties, length of rope, puffy jacket, beanie, gloves, tripod, spotting scope, video camera, phone skope, contractor bag, emergency blanket, map, sawyer water filter and small bag, sometimes trekking poles,

This is what I carry in my hunting daypack - and tbh, much of it I carry everywhere/every day.

1) knives (including my Leatherman "Wave")
2) 9" Corona folding saw - its super light (Home Depot) and cuts like madness
3) 1st aide kit
4) 2x "space blanket"/tarps (1 blue/1 red)
5) 2x contractor bags
6) GPS (and a set of fresh batteries)
7) compass/maps (in water-proof doc sleeves)
8) P&S camera
9) fire-making kit (lots of stuff in these....)
10) signaling devices
11) extra hat n gloves
12) 2x game bags
13) misc. cord/string
14) extra socks
15) TP
16) headlamp (uses same batteries as my GPS)
17) adequate water (depending on temps - I use either a 100oz bladder or 2 1 ltr Nalgene bottles)
18) food (and a bowl n spoon) for the day plus extra just in case....
19) warm beverage mixes
20) a light-weight stove + fuel or (most usually) my small Kelly Kettle
21) water filter unless there is snow on the ground
22) bino's
23) some extra ammo

It sounds like a lotta stuff, but I can carry it all day up and down mtns, trails, etc with no problem.

I didn't include a puffy parka, because once I'm sitting somewhere I'll have it on. When I'm moving I usually take it off.

In fact, I didn't include clothing at all, but I layer using carefully chosen pieces that have proven to allow for a lot of flexibility in temps and activity levels.​

The Ten Essentials plus game dressing gear including long latex gloves to keep my coat clean while field dressing.

For backpacking I add the Big Three-> TENT, SLEEPING BAG & MATTRESS, PACK
Plus cook gear, water treatment Katadyn tablets & Steripen, potty kit, toilet kit, and consumables (Food, fuel, water)

Then there are range finding binoculars and a scoped rifle & spare magazine.

I use a Kifaru rifle holder on my pack for fast access to the rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts