Guns your packing in with??

With regards to scope mounts for a Tikka T3. Other than Talley, what other mounts would be suitable? Do Leupold make a set?
I know the Sako Opti-lock mounts are expensive!

Off the top of my head, I know that Warne also makes good rings for the Tikka. It seems that the Talley are the most popular, however. Picking up my first T3 shortly (270 WSM) and am gonna go with Talleys.

My backpack rifle is almost finished. I had been packing a AR-10 chambered in 6.5 creedmoor topped with a SS10x42. It did great and drives tacks out to 900 yds but it also weight in at 12 + lb. I just got a remington 700 short action chambered in 300wsm with a 24 inch varmint contour hart barrel. I have a hs precision light weight stock and a vortex 4-16x44 lr hunting scope on the way. My target weight is 8.5 lbs. hopefully I will have pictures on here soon to show you all.

I've had 3 different Kimbers. 2 were sub-moa, and one was not. It was not difficult to hit marmots past 400 yards with those light weights, and I got a few past 500. For quite a few years I used a .300 Jarrett that weighed just over 8 lbs. scoped.

I now pack in my Rem 700 synthetic stocked 375RUM and shoot 300gr A-Frames and Gamekings @ appr 2800fps my scope is a Leupold VX111 4.5-14X40mm Boone & Crocket reticle.

I load the rifle with the A-Frames and if the shot is 300 yards + I switch over to the Gamekings.

With no scope adjustments I am dead on @ 460 yards with the second B&C line down and consistanly get 3" 3 shots groups at this range.

I've now changed game plans a bit and switched/modified my pack in rifle.

I sold the above rifle and bought another Rem 700 LSS in 375RUM had the barrel shortened to 21" installed an NECG Masterpiece banded front sight and their fiber optic post.

With Leupold QRW bases and rings I mount the same scope that was on the other rifle when I pop it off I install an XS Sights tall Weaver ghost ring backup sight.

I now load 260gr Accubonds @ 3020fps with RL17 powder and 350gr TSX @ 2440fps.

I just keep buying rifles and they are all wrong wrong wrong. Everything is too heavy for packing. Great shooters and one exceptional shooters, but too heavy. I fixed us a sav 111 270 that was 7.8# scoped slinged but it only had a 22 in bbl. So I think I just solved the mtn rifle problem as I bought a .270 Win 70 and I'll put maybe a straight 6x scope on it and save tons of ounces of wt and have a good mtn rifle. I hope.

I pack a Rem 700 AWR in .300 win mag fully accurized by Nathan from Straight Shot Gunsmithing was shooting 1.5" and went down to .5 with 180 Partition.
I have leupold dual dovetail mounts with a leupold LPS 2.5-10x45. Rifle shoots and packs great but kicks like a mule. Looking to get a light rifle in a smaller caliber.

I carry a Sendero in 300WM everywhere...mountains, 3-day backpack hunts, and all. Right now I just do the training to make it a non-issue. I am sure at some point I will prioritize a lighter rifle higher...in the meantime, I have cut weight elsewhere in my gear.

I hate to admit it, but now in my fifties I feel the extra weight more than I did years ago. A 9 or 10 lb. rifle is still no trouble to carry, but I still prefer a lighter rifle for most of my hunting. Most of my elk hunting happens at 9000 to 11000' elevation, and I hunt marmots up to almost 13000'. I had a new LR marmot gun built this winter and that baby weighs about 13.5 lbs on the bathroom scale, but it will ride in a back pack and be used for day hunts. Hunting big game I cover a lot more ground in a day and hunt for many days in a row. I'm currently looking hard at another medium weight custom .270 WSM; Stiller Predator, Jewel, #4 taper, Manners MCS-SL, and a Zeiss Conquest or maybe Nightforce 2.5-10. Rifle should weigh about 7 lbs before scope. Based on experience with similar rifles, this is a fairly light carry, and substantial enough components for some pretty long shooting.

I have 2 pack guns that I use for deer, elk and hogs (Browning X Bolt Stainless Stalker 300 Win Mag and Ruger SS M-77 358 Win). Both are under 8.5lbs scoped, strapped and fully loaded. Depending on how and where I hunt; long range, mid range, or in timber, one or the other works great for elk, deer, or hogs. My X Bolt was a pleasure to carry on last year's 5-day CO elk hunt. The X Bolt 300 Win Mag with 26in barrel shoots longer distances than I'm comfortable shooting. The 358 Win is as accurate at the distances I shoot as I could have ever hoped for. My hunting plans dictate which one I pack.

My pack rifle is an Ed Brown action attached to a 23'' hart barrel#4 contour fluted, chambered for the 300WSM. Have a Swarovski BT 1'' scope and she tips the scales at 8,2 pounds in a kevlar stock. Totally capable of accurate fire to 700+ yds if you can steady her. When you pack em in and then pack out the quarry every ounce counts. You might give up a little bit of performance vs a true longrange rig(I have them Too) but I'd hate to do 10 miles with a pack carrying a 13 lb rig going after high country game or sheep anywhere, those that say different are either liars or haven't truly packed after game.

I have a Remington 700 XCR II in 300 RUM with a Bell and Carlson full length aluminum bedding block stock. With sling, mounts, and a Leupold 4.5-14 CDS with dial to 900yrd, I think it weighs about 9lbs total.

I also have a Remington 700 XCR II in 280 Rem with a Bell and Carlson full length aluminum bedding block stock. With sling, mounts, and a Leupold 4.5-14 B&C. This is about 8 1/2 or so with everything.

This is my go to mountain gun.

It's a Mark V UL chambered in 3oowby.
McMillan Stock, glass bedded and free floated
Timney Trigger set to 2lbs
Near 10moa Alphamounts
Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 plex BT

Weighs in @ 8lbs even fully outfitted. It's shooting 180grn TSX @ 3150ft/sec. Furthest kill shot so far has been a Mtn. Goat at 550M.

IMG_6879.jpg

IMG_6875.jpg

I also have two Remington 700 XCR II's that I use for pack hunts. The one is chambered in 7mm Rem Mag and weighs just on 9 pounds with the scope and sling. The second is chambered in 375 H&H and weigh's just on 7.5 pounds (open sights). I bought these with a definite 2 gun strategy in mind and these two rifles really do cover everything that I want to hunt in virtually any conditions and with acceptable weight and recoil.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.