What would you do?

I vote for 338. After a lifetime of hunting elk I had problems with even the 300 Win Mag after hitting an elk at 300 yards, 3 times, and he remained standing in place for a couple of minutes before he piled up. Went to 338 and all taken with it have been bang/flops. Nothing over 400 yards.

I'm looking into my first magnum rifle. I'm needing a rifle at least 7mm in caliber, just in case I draw an Oklahoma Elk tag, the require at least .277 diameter to hunt elk. I'm wanting a rifle I can shoot bout to 1000 yards on game effectively. I'm planning to hand load, but would like factory ammo available as an option. This will be mainly a sit and shoot rifle so weight is not an issue. I currently carry a 13lb 6.5 all the time. What chambering would you guys recommend? If you have a rifle recommendation post that as well.
Thanks ahead of time.
Elk at a thousand? do a large case .338. 340 Bee, 338 Jarrett, 338 RUM, 338 Lapua, 338-378. Big bullets to make big holes, and all can be extremely accurate

Elk at a thousand? do a large case .338. 340 Bee, 338 Jarrett, 338 RUM, 338 Lapua, 338-378. Big bullets to make big holes, and all can be extremely accurate
I have to agree with this.
I've got a really nice 7 RUM carry rifle and a much heavier 338. I love the 7 RUM but if I was to even think of a 1k yard shot on game, that bigger payload would definately be worth it.

In my opinion, I don't think you need a magnum rifle. If so, the 7mm Rem Mag is just as effective as any other. I have a couple of 7mm Rem Mags, but also have several other calibers I'd consider if I pulled an elk tag. My 280AI is extremely accurate. To me, it doesn't matter so much the choice of caliber with anything above the .277 recommendation, but more so the shot placement and what distance you are comfortable at making those shots consistently. Practice, practice, practice. Ethical shots are what is most important as good stewards of the wonderful creation God has given us.
I agree totally, but the OP spoke of target shooting at 1000 yards. He is unconcerned with weight also. For his needs, I'd go with the 7 Rem Mag for the extra velocity at 1000 yards. I hunt with a 280AI in a light rifle and I love it! But IMO the 7 Mag would better fill his requirements.

I'm looking into my first magnum rifle. I'm needing a rifle at least 7mm in caliber, just in case I draw an Oklahoma Elk tag, the require at least .277 diameter to hunt elk. I'm wanting a rifle I can shoot bout to 1000 yards on game effectively. I'm planning to hand load, but would like factory ammo available as an option. This will be mainly a sit and shoot rifle so weight is not an issue. I currently carry a 13lb 6.5 all the time. What chambering would you guys recommend? If you have a rifle recommendation post that as well.
Thanks ahead of time.
You can't go wrong with a 30 nosler it had a lot of power and the most energy

I agree totally, but the OP spoke of target shooting at 1000 yards. He is unconcerned with weight also. For his needs, I'd go with the 7 Rem Mag for the extra velocity at 1000 yards. I hunt with a 280AI in a light rifle and I love it! But IMO the 7 Mag would better fill his requirements.
Oops! Reading too many different posts. If the OP truly wants to shoot an elk at that range, he'd be better off with the 338 caliber in one of the big magnums - as many have stated. AND he better load up on ammo & practice. My favorite is the 340 Weatherby. But any of the big 338 Mags will do.

Oops! Reading too many different posts. If the OP truly wants to shoot an elk at that range, he'd be better off with the 338 caliber in one of the big magnums - as many have stated. AND he better load up on ammo & practice. My favorite is the 340 Weatherby. But any of the big 338 Mags will do.
And the big 338s will leave a better blood trail!

I'm interested in seeing responses on this as well, I'm hoping to get a new hunting rifle in the next few years with similar capabilities. Leaning towards a 300 PRC or 7mm PRC but I know those are just the newer hyped cartridges and there are other good options too. Obviously it gets very subjective when people say effectively taking game at 1000 yards so it's tricky discussing it, I'll need a lot of practice before I get there but it would be great to have a capable gun if the situation ever presents itself.
Love
My savage 7 prc with 22inch Oregon mtn carbon barrel

Attachments

• IMG_1049.jpeg
    IMG_1049.jpeg
    322 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1045.jpeg
    IMG_1045.jpeg
    262.5 KB · Views: 26
Here is another reason for very big guns at long range in the mountains that those who haven't been there done that don't realize. I shot a big ram one time across a canyon. He was on the mountain on the other side. Took the shot at about 9am. He went down and slid maybe 50 yds and piled up on a ledge. It was dark when we got to him. It was midnight to the truck. A big bull is twice that size. I am not sure I would shoot one that far with my 300 RUM. The guys talking about the big cased 338's are where I would want to be.

Now, having said all I have, please consider one more thing. The big guns we have been telling you need(and you do) to pull off a 1000 yd bull are incredibly intimidating to shoot in a hunting weight rifle. Recoil and blast will teach you to flinch in a hurry. You have to work up to them and they are not and will never be fun to shoot. Barrel life is so short you will not just buy one and shoot long range without a golf bag full of barrels. Most guides will not let you shoot a bull that far anyway no matter how you beg. You would be so much better off easing into all this. Buy a med cap 7(70grs) with an 8 twist and learn to shoot it. Learn to load a Magnum for long range and go have some fun with it. If will kill an elk as far as any guide will let you shoot at it. Work on deer at home ar far as your ability will let you. You will soon learn its not as far as you would like and that gives you something to work on and practice for.

Now, having said all I have, please consider one more thing. The big guns we have been telling you need(and you do) to pull off a 1000 yd bull are incredibly intimidating to shoot in a hunting weight rifle. Recoil and blast will teach you to flinch in a hurry. You have to work up to them and they are not and will never be fun to shoot. Barrel life is so short you will not just buy one and shoot long range without a golf bag full of barrels. Most guides will not let you shoot a bull that far anyway no matter how you beg. You would be so much better off easing into all this. Buy a med cap 7(70grs) with an 8 twist and learn to shoot it. Learn to load a Magnum for long range and go have some fun with it. If will kill an elk as far as any guide will let you shoot at it. Work on deer at home ar far as your ability will let you. You will soon learn its not as far as you would like and that gives you something to work on and practice for.
I appreciate that. I used to work at a gun shop doing the Gunsmithing and barrel break in's. Shot a bunch of .338 Lapua rifles doing that. My groups had to be good as proof of break in to the customer so I'm good there. But you make a very valid point, shooting the 50's definitely helped break the flinching. There would be days I'd be shooting/cleaning 3-4 .338's and a couple 50's all at the same time.