What to Build?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by 6.5Express, Oct 5, 2011.

1. 6.5Express

6.5Express Well-Known Member

Okay, I've started similar threads on here before and still haven't done it yet. I'm wanting to build a long range deer gun. I have two "donor" guns that I can base the build on. And, I have to sell one of them in order to fund (part of?) the build. The two donors are:
    Model 700 sf cdl currently in 264 win mag
    A Bolt currently in 270 wsm
    The calibers that I'm interested in are:
    6.5wsm
    6.5x284
    264wm
    7wsm
    7 Rem Mag
    Looking at either a hart or lilja 26" barrel. Anyone ever have Hart Barrel Company barrel an action - good or bad? Anyone ever use stocks from Whidden? I would like to stay with a 6.5 or a 7mm; I know the 7 will carry more energy out a ways but think any of the 6.5's mentioned will kill a mule deer at long range.
    Thanks for the input.gun)

2. ishootkittens

ishootkittens Well-Known Member

a 7wsm of course! That is what I wanted for the longest time. Till I got a 300wsm

3. 6.5Express

6.5Express Well-Known Member

I've got a 300wsm already which is why I was kind of leaning more towards the 6.5's. Too many calibers too little time (and money...)!
    gun)

4. ishootkittens

ishootkittens Well-Known Member

well if u want some back up on the 6.5's..u have come to the right place!!!!! everyone here seems to support the 6.5 in some way! i like the 6.5X284 if u already have a 300wsm...

5. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Well, Kirby has an awfully nice looking custom 6.5 AE for sale over in the classifieds here at LRH... .

Of those you list though personally I'd go for either the 264 WM or take a look at the remington 6.5 mag which is neck and neck with the 6.5x284 Norma.

But then I admit to having had a very long love affair with the 6.5's/.264's.