What 7 to build ?

Nice shooting. I am kinda thinking about a 28 still. Just because it's gonna be hunting rifle. If I could get 800 rds out of it it would last me a good while
You should be able to get at least that. Probably closer to 1,000. But that's one of life's guarantees that you can never guarantee. There's been several guys on here with over 1,250 on an STW and it was still shooting good. One guy said his had close to 1,500 and was still shooting around 1/2" groups. I've never put that many through one first-hand (mine probably has 500-750, but still stacks them all sub-1/2 minute groups), but I have shot-out a 7mmRM barrel, and it took quite a while...And I wasn't very kind to it, either.

You should be able to get at least that. Probably closer to 1,000. But that's one of life's guarantees that you can never guarantee. There's been several guys on here with over 1,250 on an STW and it was still shooting good. One guy said his had close to 1,500 and was still shooting around 1/2" groups. I've never put that many through one first-hand (mine probably has 500-750, but still stacks them all sub-1/2 minute groups), but I have shot-out a 7mmRM barrel, and it took quite a while...And I wasn't very kind to it, either.
That's all good to hear. Maybe I will go that way. Just have to bite the bullet with the cost of brass lol

EABCO has Savage accuracy barrels in 28 Nosler for $259. I am wanting one but need a donor action...and find some cash. Maybe rechamber a 7RM ? as an experiment.?

EABCO has Savage accuracy barrels in 28 Nosler for $259. I am wanting one but need a donor action...and find some cash. Maybe rechamber a 7RM ? as an experiment.?
.28 Nosler is based on the RUM/.404 Jeffery case... You'll need to swap out more than just a barrel. It will require opening of feed rails, feed ramp, and a RUM magazine box and follower.

Thought long and hard last night. Think I am gonna order a waytts box and give the 28 a try. Been saving long time to build a rifle. So why not go big hahaha
Make sure the feed rails on the bottom of the action are wide enough. Might require a gunsmith to mill them out. If you are going with a longer Wyatt's mag box, then he will have to mill that part out anyway.

Make sure the feed rails on the bottom of the action are wide enough. Might require a gunsmith to mill them out. If you are going with a longer Wyatt's mag box, then he will have to mill that part out anyway.
Is is a Rum action so it should work right?

Thought long and hard last night. Think I am gonna order a waytts box and give the 28 a try. Been saving long time to build a rifle. So why not go big hahaha

I had a 28 Nosler built on a 1991 Rem 700 action and it turned out awesome , 26" #3 Fluted Benchmark barrel, I had a brake installed as it was a handful to shoot without it,
Really is a pleasure to shoot and extremely accurate, loves the 175gr LRAB

I had a 28 Nosler built on a 1991 Rem 700 action and it turned out awesome , 26" #3 Fluted Benchmark barrel, I had a brake installed as it was a handful to shoot without it,
Really is a pleasure to shoot and extremely accurate, loves the 175gr LRAB
Thanks for the info. Mine is a #5 Brux not sure what brake yet

Thanks for the info. Mine is a #5 Brux not sure what brake yet

Here's a few pictures of my 28 Nosler
Rem 700 Action-trued and squared
26" Benchmark #3 Fluted 5R 1-9 twist barrel
Jewel Trigger set at 2.5lbs
Wildcat Composite Stock
Custom Hand Made brake with 12 deg holes facing forward
Talleys and a VX6 HD 3-18x44 CDS FD Duplex

Before the brake was added

Wildcat Composite Stock
Talleys and a VX6 HD 3-18x44 CDS FD
Wildcat Composite Stock
Talleys and a VX6 HD 3-18x44 CDS FD Duplex

Before the brake was added

Very nice Rifle. What bullets do you shoot?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.