What 7 to build ?

Mt.Boy

Getting ready to have a rifle built. Was set on a 7mag. My Gun smith is really pushing a 28 nosler. So that got me thinking and looking. The 28 looks awesome. But the price of brass and availability and and barrel life has me thinking I don't really no if I need that. But the 7 lrm and 7-300 stuck my eye as well. I am thinking the lrm might be a in the middle of the 7 mag and the 28. What's everyone's thoughts on theses calibers. Thanks.

It depends on a few things? But a old time 7MM RM is hard to beat!
Speed comes with a price the more powder you burn through a .284 hole
the more throat you remove. Plus there are all kinds of good 7RM components
available at a more reasonable price. Factory ammo is easy to find.
And it will work for about anything you want to shoot.

Thanks for the info. I should have mentioned I am wanting to shoot 175-180gr bullets.

The 28 Nosler is a great one and I have toyed with the idea. The 7 Rem is a good option. If I was going to do a 7mm, I would build a 7mm STW. The STW will run with the 28 and has been around a long time and taken a lot of game. I am assuming you are going to run an 8 twist barrel.

The 28 moves a throat about .010 every 100 rounds. It does give bad *** performance but I can't deal with the barrel life. What are you wanting to accomplish. I think a 7SS will push 180s over 2900 with around 60 grains of powder. Pretty hard to beat that.

I already have my barrel it's a 1-9 Brux . My gunsmith suggested it for 180gr bullets

I have owned a SAUM, WSM, a couple Rem Mags, a couple 7-300s, 28Nosler, 280AI. If I were going to do another 7 I would do a 7-270wsm, a 7SS, or a 7 Blaser Mag.

The 28 moves a throat about .010 every 100 rounds. It does give bad *** performance but I can't deal with the barrel life. What are you wanting to accomplish. I think a 7SS will push 180s over 2900 with around 60 grains of powder. Pretty hard to beat that.
I would be happy with 175 eldx or 180 Berger around 3000 to 3050 but faster would not hurt either lol

There is no free lunch. If you are want over 3k I would go with a Blaser. My next choice would be 7-270wsm. Both should make 3k with a 26"

A standard 7RM will push a 180 @ 3K when throated properly 26" barrel, 7 Blaser will do same maybe a little faster, only downside is single source brass, but it is tough/consistent stuff. 7mm off wsm case will do similar speeds. 7mm-300 win will push 180 @ 3150, adg makes excellent brass and is very easy to form with 300 win FL bushing dies barrel life would be 1500+- depending if you keep cool. 7mm saum on built on long action with 26" barrel will do 2900+ and have great barrel life. 7mm sherman will push 180s around 3k too, but brass is $$. All these velocities are top end, high psi loads. I have a hells canyon 1:8 carbon barrel on order and I'm trying to decide same question. I've shot the nosler out to 1800y and made hits on moa sized target in spendy custom rifles. It's a performer but you'll get 1000+- rounds and it'll be done. The Sherman case design is very minimal taper and 40° shoulder. I've pondered taking the blaser or saum case and giving it the same treatment. The blaser imp will run 3150 with 180s, already been done. It hold about 86gr capacity, smack between the 7RM/WSM & 7-300wm. I'd think a 7saum imp would hold 76gr and get 3050 with 180s. Adg makes the Sherman cases, and will have 7mm and 6.5mm saum brass after January. Their brass is top notch. My suggestion, build your rifle chambering around quality source of brass, that'll be available for a long time, or buy 300-400 cases at the start. Supposedly Peterson will have wsm brass available in 19, that makes the 7-300/270wsm a candidate, as norma is somewhat soft. I hope some this info is useful and doesn't muddy the waters.

I have had the 7 LRM and the brass is disappointing, I also have the 7 saum and 7 blaser mag, I have built a few 7 Blaser mags from 24"-26" and they run from 2970 FPS to 3050 with 180's using RL26
My new barrel is replacing a 7lrm chambered barrel, you're right brass is very disappointing. However the new 300prc brass may be better and shouldn't be too tough to neck down and push shoulder back.

I have had the 7 LRM and the brass is disappointing, I also have the 7 saum and 7 blaser mag, I have built a few 7 Blaser mags from 24"-26" and they run from 2970 FPS to 3050 with 180's using RL26
Is the extra cost of the 7LRM worth the gain over the 7 mag ?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.