What Rem. 700 to get for long shots

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Terrytf, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Terrytf

Terrytf Well-Known Member

I was offered a trade at my local dealer any Rem. I want.. I know I would like a 7mm rem mag to get out and do some long stuff.. But what model is best or better. I know I should go with a 26 in barrel ! and have looked at the XHR any good ? please help out with some info on this . good or bad ! should I get a different make ? This will be my first long range rifle . I don't need a good factory ammo shooter I load my own..

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  2. LouBoyd

LouBoyd Well-Known Member

What do YOU consider long range? What are you shooting at? What shooting style do you use? (Bench, bipod, prone, offhand , etc) How much weight do you want to carry? There's no best, only appropriate.

3. retiredcpo

retiredcpo Well-Known Member

Heavy gun-remington sendero
    Lighter gun remington cdl stainless flutted

4. Terrytf

Targets first out as far as I can . Practice- Practice-Practice.. then a dear and maybe elk as far as I'm confidant too shoot with a kill and not a wound a animal . bipod and prone I have a light wight rifle for long hikes and stocking . I would love to have a rifle that I could get a dear at 1000 y or more .. and I have 2000 7mm brass that was givan to me ..

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  5. roninflag

roninflag Well-Known Member

i AGREE WITH CPO- for a little lighter gun the cdl; but once you mentioned 1000 yards i defintely say the sendero and the stainless fluted are not that heavy . adjust the trigger load some good ammo , good scope. enjoy . both my 7 and 300 shoot awesome.

6. Terrytf

The Sendero is a better long rang rfle than the XHR ??

7. retiredcpo

retiredcpo Well-Known Member

Well if you have a light weight pack rifle
    get a sendero in 7mm mag

8. Capt Academy

Capt Academy Well-Known Member

Sendero or 700P(Police Version) I have both and they shoot very well with little work.

9. RT2506

RT2506 Well-Known Member

I vote for the Sendero in 264 Win mag. Just run those 7mm mag cases into a 264 Win mag die and you have 264 win case. :D

10. Trickymissfit

Trickymissfit Well-Known Member

first thing is to pay a visit to the Savage website and look at the right bolt/ left port long range rifles with the Accustock and target trigger. With this rifle you'll be way ahead of the game, and about $1,000 cheaper to get a rifle that shoots that well.
    gary

11. roninflag

roninflag Well-Known Member

TF - don't let the savage shooters fool you. i shoot in competiton against them all the time. your dealer is offering you a remington; get a sendero ( or a pss).

12. kc

kc Well-Known Member

I have a Remington 700 magnum I love it its flat and if I can see it I can kill it.
    But out of the box? SAVAGE.

13. Trickymissfit

Trickymissfit Well-Known Member

I guess that's why the often refer to the factory benchrest shooting line as "The Savage Line!" There ain't no Remingtons there because they can't compete. Samething with F Class and Accross The Course competion. Remington has been traveling on their name for twenty years now, and their chickens have come to roost. I shoot both brands, and I do know the difference between them.
    gary

14. coyotezapper

coyotezapper Well-Known Member

Sendero