What Rem. 700 to get for long shots

first thing is to pay a visit to the Savage website and look at the right bolt/ left port long range rifles with the Accustock and target trigger. With this rifle you'll be way ahead of the game, and about $1,000 cheaper to get a rifle that shoots that well.
gary
I own 2 savage rifles . the edge I won at a NRA dinner and just bought the 243 . The edge I had to buy a trigger for stock it was over 10 now it shoots great and that's why I bought the savage 11 fns . I was really surprised to see how mush less of a rifle it is next to my savage edge .the accutriger will only come down to 3lb and the stock will move side to side 1" if not more . called savage and they have still not called me back . I had all intentions on getting a 116 FCSS or 111 Long Range Hunter with out the Karsten adjustable comb. Now after my last buy in in November I'm a little worried on another Savage . and thats why I'm going with the 700 . I almost went to the gun show in veges to go finger a new savage and Remington and buy from the balance of two but work keeps me here . more and more I here and read the 700 has better balance . at this time there are not a lot of people that shoot out past 500 y around here maybe 3 and they are .308 shooters at paper . So it makes it realy hard to get out and see what I like and what I want . I would of never bought the 243 if I had seen it first..

TF - don't let the savage shooters fool you. i shoot in competiton against them all the time. your dealer is offering you a remington; get a sendero ( or a pss).
roninflag the offer was for any factory rifle 1300.00 or less at dealer cost

Last edited:
first thing is to pay a visit to the Savage website and look at the right bolt/ left port long range rifles with the Accustock and target trigger. With this rifle you'll be way ahead of the game, and about $1,000 cheaper to get a rifle that shoots that well.
gary

sendero $1100 Trigger job and glass bed $150=$1250
shoots 1/2 moa with both bergers and accubond to 1000 yards
How can you get a Savage for $1,000 cheaper
You cant!!!
I own savages and remingtons.
If the guy is going to give you a remington take the sendero

I am a Remington man but in all fairness you can't compare a Savage EDGE which is the cheapest put together rifle they make and one of their top of the line rifles like their long range rifle. You get what you pay for in that deal. By the way they have already changed the name of the Edge to something else so that tells me that they were having trouble with the Edge.

you missed what I said. the edge is much better than my 11fns and is 250 cheeper. I want some thig out of the box ready to get out and group at 700+ . Thats out of the box.. I have to ship it to get any work done and in CA thats a pain in the $#@

I own 2 savage rifles . the edge I won at a NRA dinner and just bought the 243 . The edge I had to buy a trigger for stock it was over 10 now it shoots great and that's why I bought the savage 11 fns . I was really surprised to see how mush less of a rifle it is next to my savage edge .the accutriger will only come down to 3lb and the stock will move side to side 1" if not more . called savage and they have still not called me back . I had all intentions on getting a 116 FCSS or 111 Long Range Hunter with out the Karsten adjustable comb. Now after my last buy in in November I'm a little worried on another Savage . and thats why I'm going with the 700 . I almost went to the gun show in veges to go finger a new savage and Remington and buy from the balance of two but work keeps me here . more and more I here and read the 700 has better balance . at this time there are not a lot of people that shoot out past 500 y around here maybe 3 and they are .308 shooters at paper . So it makes it realy hard to get out and see what I like and what I want . I would of never bought the 243 if I had seen it first..

roninflag the offer was for any factory rifle 1300.00 or less at dealer cost

I'm from the school that with a Remington your paying $250 for the name tag, and getting $250 less than the competetion. They have no quality controll up there in New Yak, or they don't know how to do it! I know it's blunt, but it's a fact.

Do you realize what $1300 will buy you on the open market compaired to any $1300 Remington? Call it 50% more rifle right up front! With a Savage you get a better chamber right away, and a better built barrel. Everybody knows this these days except for the salesman trying to make a buck. With the Savage you get better case alignment to the bolt head right upfront. A better trigger that won't get you or somebody else killed. And action length that is properly proportioned for the medium (51mm) case length. The lock time alone on the Savage is better than a Remington with all the custom doo dads you can put on it. The Savage target trigger is the best (production trigger) out there period unless you buy an Anschutze. The Savage Accustock is the best production stock built period. Savage stocks ride the bags better than any other production stock out there. I mean to say that not everybody is going to send an action to somebody else and dump another $2000 in it! Most everybody is looking for a shooter right out of the box. You won't get that with anything outta New Yak

The Edge; not my favorite Savage. The trigger is not the one on the varmit rifles or target rifles, and looks to be non adjustable. But a 3.5LB. it's better than 90% out there out of the box. I don't like the stock, and that's my main beef with it. Still you can't beat the price tag. I have a couple friends that shoot them, and they love them (so be it). One guy brought me in a five bull target he shot off of shooting sticks. The chamber was .270 Winchester, and he was shooting either Hornaday or Federal Supreme factory loads. The biggest group was right at one inch, and the best were under 3/4". The other guy shoots a .243, and claims it will shoot a little over half inch groups (note I said claims). Brother inlaw has an F116 in 30-06. The rifle shoots 3/4" groups with Federal factory loads all day long. I think I can put the rifle in the .60" range and not work hard. I've seen Savage slug guns shoot sub MOA groups at 100 yards.

The first Savage I bought was a 112BVSS-S single shot varmit rig that had the laminated stock. Was chambered in 22-250, and started out shooting in the low threes. The trigger was horrible (this was a pre acuutrigger gun). But the stock rode the bags fairly well. The gun would shoot an occassional high ones at 100 yards on a good day. The next one was a 112BVSS that was a repeater, but otherwise identicle. I bought the gun used, and could tell the guy was heavy handed when he cleaned the barrel. It still started out in the high threes, and will shoot mid twos regularly. I did install a Rifle Basix trigger and pillar bed it due to some problems created by using way too much oil by the previous owner (the trigger is set at 16 oz.) I have swapped barrels a couple times on it, and got similar results (my 6/250AI barrel will print .25" groups all day long). I also have a mod. 12 BVSS-S that I have not done much with, but shoots better than the others out of the box. It will get the 6/250 barrel on a perminate basis when ever I get the time (although I'm kinda looking at a slow twist 30BR notion right now).

I've had some Remingtons as well over the years, and can only think of one I wish I'd kept (a nice little 270 Winchester 700 ADL). Currently I own two 541's, and a 700VS that's been completely rebuilt right outta the box). My 541's shoot pretty good with one doing .80" groups at 100 yards. The 700 struggles to shoot in the low fours, but it will with some work. On the otherhand I have two 30-06 Weatherbys that shoot 3/4" groups right out of the box with nothing but a scope attached. I have a Marlin that does the samething (MR-7). My MK.V. 270mag shoots 3/4" groups as well with factory ammo ( it was a hundred dollars cheaper than a 270 winchester in a 700 by the way). But alas the 700VS does shoot better than my Lo-Wall or my HI-wall in 38-55 (also shoots better than my two 99's). But only a little better than my T/C in .222 remington (it'll shoot in the low sixes all day long)

gary

Sendero for Remington.
Tried a Weatherby Vanguard in 30-06 last year... liked it so much I bought a Stainless in .243 Win. Both Vanguards shoot about 1/2 moa... the .243 a little under. Very nice guns, not too pretty a stock, good triggers on both. Try a Vanguard... can't beat the warranty!.

sendero $1100 Trigger job and glass bed $150=$1250
shoots 1/2 moa with both bergers and accubond to 1000 yards
How can you get a Savage for $1,000 cheaper
You cant!!!
I own savages and remingtons.
If the guy is going to give you a remington take the sendero

first of all your missing the boat! If you got a Remington anything that shoots one half MOA at 1000 yards you need to be shooting competetion! A six inch group will win 90% of the meets anywhere. And that's with a custom built 1000 yard bench gun that will weigh 20lb. The Sendro uses bad stock design right upfront. For over two hundred dollars less you can buy a long range varmit with the solid top and a left port right bolt combo (or dual port). Has a target trigger (better than any Remington trigger), a better quality barrel with a heavier contour. You can't get there with a Remington; I'm sorry but it's the nature of the beast.

I do know what it cost to make a Remington shoot with the big dogs, and your looking at $2K without sights.
* true the action and recut the threads $150 minimum
* a better trigger will cost you about $200
* a good barrel blank will set you back $300 or more, and the chambering and head space adds another $150 for about $450 (a really good barrel will hit you for as much as $400 for the blank alone)
* you'll need a better stock, and even if you buy a cheap one you talking $150 with your own labor. A good one will run about $350
* got to do something about the snail's pace lock time, so that's another $85

do the math and you'll what it costs. Yet you can order a Savage with a McMillen stock & their target trigger for about $1300 list. You could almost build a custom actioned (BAT, Hart, or whatever) rifle ffor what it takes to make a regular 700 shoot that good.
gary

+1 to what Tricky said. Then again I thought I seen Guarantee bandied about. That is why I posted up FN and TC. Remingtons are hugely over rated. I do not hate Rem, but there are way way *WAY* better choices out there. Savage and Howa are both **** good choices.

Good Shooting,
Gary
P.S. Mil Spec Remingtons are nothing like what civilians are allowed to buy.

first of all your missing the boat! If you got a Remington anything that shoots one half MOA at 1000 yards you need to be shooting competetion! A six inch group will win 90% of the meets anywhere. And that's with a custom built 1000 yard bench gun that will weigh 20lb. The Sendro uses bad stock design right upfront. For over two hundred dollars less you can buy a long range varmit with the solid top and a left port right bolt combo (or dual port). Has a target trigger (better than any Remington trigger), a better quality barrel with a heavier contour. You can't get there with a Remington; I'm sorry but it's the nature of the beast.

I do know what it cost to make a Remington shoot with the big dogs, and your looking at $2K without sights.
* true the action and recut the threads $150 minimum
* a better trigger will cost you about $200
* a good barrel blank will set you back $300 or more, and the chambering and head space adds another $150 for about $450 (a really good barrel will hit you for as much as $400 for the blank alone)
* you'll need a better stock, and even if you buy a cheap one you talking $150 with your own labor. A good one will run about $350
* got to do something about the snail's pace lock time, so that's another $85

do the math and you'll what it costs. Yet you can order a Savage with a McMillen stock & their target trigger for about $1300 list. You could almost build a custom actioned (BAT, Hart, or whatever) rifle ffor what it takes to make a regular 700 shoot that good.
gary
116 FCSS in 7mm rem mag or the 111 Long Range Hunter.. I can not find one with a target triger in a 7mm

Last edited:
The target trigger in a savage is mostly about the spring kit. Talk to Fred at SSS. Cheap, fairly straightforward, and easy. I am hesitant to post what I did to my savage to lighten the trigger pull, but it was a spring mod. It was very very easy, but I can see how some one too new to such things could "over do it" as the saying goes.

Good shooting,
Gary

+1 to what Tricky said. Then again I thought I seen Guarantee bandied about. That is why I posted up FN and TC. Remingtons are hugely over rated. I do not hate Rem, but there are way way *WAY* better choices out there. Savage and Howa are both **** good choices.

Good Shooting,
Gary
P.S. Mil Spec Remingtons are nothing like what civilians are allowed to buy.

An M40 or whatever they call it won't begin to shoot with a 110BAS. This is nothing new under the sun, and has been known since the model came out.

My favorite coyote rifle is a .223 mod. 700! But I also know it won't shoot with the big dogs on any day of the week. But I still like the rifle a lot, and for what I put it together for, it does a fine job. Still I also know what it won't do, and respect that.

P.S. I own a pair of Weatherbys in 30-06 (a Vanguard and a MK V.) that seem to shoot better than any Remington right out of the box. My little Mr-7 in 30-06 shoots just about as good as a good Remington will, and it's had exactly nothing done to it except apply a scratch on the forend. I put Remingtons and Rugers in the same pile when I think of shooting factory rifles
gary

weatherby is about 40 miles from me and around here service stinks . I say this and still not a word from savage about my problems.

You have called Savage? I forger her name offhand, but there is a very nice lady who is very helpful at the other end of savage's CS number. Or at least there was a year and a half ago. I think she still works there. Bug them a bit if needs be, they will most generally come through.

Then again if your heart is set on Remington, that's cool too. There is a flavor for nearly any taste out there!

Good Shooting,
Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.