What brand Chrono to get?

Used Chrony's and had multiple problems with light pollution on the sensors. Had my LabRadar for two years now and have never looked back. Advantage of the LabRadar over all other is the ability to get measurements downrange (provided projectile is large enough, eg 6mm and larger). This allows verification of the bullet BC at downrange velocities. This only works out to about 100 yards, though. Also you can take the SD card out and load all measurements directly into my computer. Saves a ton of data in shot strings. Only disadvantages to LabRadar is the aiming capabilities to make sure you are sighting directly to the target with the device. Only a top groove sighting slot which is difficult to use. Only other disadvantage is you don't want to use this in any wind over 5 mph. I had mine tip over the tripod due to the sail effect. Mount and device needs to be firmly mounted and supported so wind won't knock it over. Otherwise I LOVE the LabRadar.

Definitely time to break down and buy one. Whats the go to brand and model?
Magnetospeed chronos are McGyver project specials requiring McGyvering for every firearm. Just because one can McGyver something doesn't mean one should. I agree with the other comments, go with the Labradar. I love mine. Provides maximum flexibility and saves many heartbeats........a non-renewable precious resource. If cost is an issue, partner with one or several buddies to share cost. Many shooting clubs have bought Labradar chronos and similar equipment for members to use. A really nice membership perk. Buy once; cry once; happy ever after.

Last edited:
As for aiming the LabRadar I installed one of these.

Another vote for Labradar. I had both it and the Magnetospeed V3. No problems with either one but I only use the Labradar any more. I don't have the trigger accessory and haven't had any significant issues even though I often shoot suppressed. If you get the Labradar, you will definitely want to use an external USB battery pack as the thing eats batteries quickly. The external battery pack pulls double duty in the summer while powering my barrel cooler.

For those with the magnitospeed. How does it work for load development? Do you dial groups in then get your numbers (mv, es, sd)? Or do you do it all at once? Seems like the harmonics could play into it, but maybe I'm over thinking it.

As for aiming the LabRadar I installed one of these.
Great idea for sighting device. Thanks. Will try it.

Another vote for Labradar. I had both it and the Magnetospeed V3. No problems with either one but I only use the Labradar any more. I don't have the trigger accessory and haven't had any significant issues even though I often shoot suppressed. If you get the Labradar, you will definitely want to use an external USB battery pack as the thing eats batteries quickly. The external battery pack pulls double duty in the summer while powering my barrel cooler.
What barrel cooler do you have that uses a USB battery pack?

For those with the magnitospeed. How does it work for load development? Do you dial groups in then get your numbers (mv, es, sd)? Or do you do it all at once? Seems like the harmonics could play into it, but maybe I'm over thinking it.
Dial my group in and once satisfied I take MV.

What barrel cooler do you have that uses a USB battery pack?
I use chamber chiller. I have one for AR platforms and a different one for the bolt guns. Works well off the battery pack for the Labradar. Never use the Magnetospeed chiller any more as it wasn't as effective.

I use the magnetospeed sport. It's proved very reliable in use. I have a ruger #3 in 223 with a 22" barrel and a ruger #1 in 308 with a 26" barrel. POI shift is less than an inch on both and it doesn't appear to cause any spread of the groups so once I've checked out the velocities it's just a matter of taking it off and firing a 3 shot group with the chosen cartridge and redialling that back in, if necessary.
The instructions say to use it on c/f rifles/guns only. I think what they mean to say is don't use cast boolits with it. Having said that, my 223 hard cast bullets with gas checks seem to trigger it OK.
WTH is a McGyver solution?

I've owned four inexpensive optical chronographs each costing less than $125 over the years. I shot one (didn't account for the muzzleloader sabot), my buddy shot one and the other two decided not to power up during the same range session. Nothing against the Magneto-speed as I've never used one, but I have enough things going through my head at the range and didn't want to add POI shift to the equation. Not to mention having to remember to re-zero back to my desired POI before leaving the range.

In evaluating my next purchase, I took note that Labradars outnumber all other chronographs brands combined by a 4 to 1 margin at my range. I took the plunge about three months ago and am glad I did, even though data management is far from perfect. For example, my $125 Comp Elec Pro Chrono DLX allowed me to name the series (cartridge, bullet type, weight, powder, charge weight, etc). It also automatically charted each shot in a series which I found convenient when shooting ladder tests. I can do all of these things when I get back to my PC, but it can be a PITA.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.