What rangefinder for ranging coyotes in snow?

Thanks for the info, glad to hear from someone who ranges in the snow. I haven't used a rangefinder with Ballistic calculator built in. Sounds like they work pretty good. It might speed me up and allow me to get on target faster.
I have been using the G7's(gen1&2) since their introduction with excellent success. The built in ballistics calculator has been rock solid with several dozen game animals and coyotes taken as far as 1200 yards. For skittish critters like coyote and whitetails, IMO, the speed of the on board ballistics can make the difference between a shot and no shot. I also own both versions of the Terrapin/Kestral, and a Sig 2400. All are excellent rangefinders, but I invariably find myself using the G7, preferring the control features for this kind hunting.

A feature the Sig has is the ability to hold the button down and get a continuing range display as you scan. For example if you point it at a car driving away it will continue to increase the yardage as you hold the button down. I have found it useful at times to distinguish an object from the foreground.

A feature the Sig has is the ability to hold the button down and get a continuing range display as you scan. For example if you point it at a car driving away it will continue to increase the yardage as you hold the button down. I have found it useful at times to distinguish an object from the foreground.
Leupolds have the scan feature as well.

Greyfox,Put your muley back up dont replace with whitetail,hah.Guy i ran into way back was in eastern MT .A buck blew out of a thicket and he dropped it running.Was a large 5x5 frame with double drops.Dick Idol,wanted to buy from him.How did you like your sig? I dropped my terrapin and they want alot to look at it.

Greyfox,Put your muley back up dont replace with whitetail,hah.Guy i ran into way back was in eastern MT .A buck blew out of a thicket and he dropped it running.Was a large 5x5 frame with double drops.Dick Idol,wanted to buy from him.How did you like your sig? I dropped my terrapin and they want alot to look at it.
LOL...I'm just an old whitetails nut from the Northeast.
I like the Sig 2400, particularly the small size and ranging reticle design. The SIG and the G7(and Kestrel 5700) have delivered identical dopes for me out to about 1300 yards using the same inputs. It gets the job done. Unfortunately, I have had issues with my Sig malfunctioning. I've sent it back a couple of times for repair, but it's down again. Must be my particular unit because I know several people that swear by it, and have had no issues. Probably personal preference, and several years of excellent results, but I really like the ranging approach with the G7. It had a very slick software design using fingertip controlled filters called, "Tru-Targeting". It makes it very fast and easy to pick up difficult targets...like coyotes in the snow, or those "whitetails" with interfering foreground/background at the longer ranges.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts