Rangefinder For Snow Conditions

Prairie Sasquatch

This year we have had a lot of snow so everything is completely covered. I hunt the open prairie for coyotes and today it was sunny and I just couldn't get a range on anything. I have a bushnell that is probably 15 years old and it's time for an upgrade.

I'm thinking I'll update to a ballistic range finder and have been looking at the Gunwerks Revic BR4. Anyone have experience with these. Especially in the snow. I really want this for big game hunting more than anything but would like to be able to use it for coyotes when we have snow like this.

Like above I have Leica geovid 3200.com bino love them. Before that I had Leica 2400r and it worked very well to. Now if it's foggy or snowing that can mess I beleive with any range finder. It if it's sunny with snow on the ground mine I haven't had an issue with. I would say easily I can range 1000yards plus. I like the bino/range finder combo. Don't have to go from glassing to finding it in the range finder then scope and shooting. Takes a whole step out of the process. Plus the Leicas have great glass.

I have Leica 3200s and have had to send them back twice because they will not work in temps below 20 degrees. The last time it happened during the middle of rifle season. They are a great rangefinder when they work but I would be hesitant to buy them again. My dads older set of Leica rangefinding binos work perfect in the same conditions. I have since purchased a Terrapin X for use in cold conditions here in ND and have been very happy with it.

Revic would be my choice for a LRF or anything leica. I run leica 3200's and have zero issue hunting in the winter. I have ranged snow covered mountain sides to 3400. Generally I can get readings on about anything to 2800. For a stand alone LRF I would look at the leica line but that Revic would likely be my choice. I had the gunwerks br2 and it was a fantastic unit, just ridiculously bulky. I made the mistake of buying a sig kilo 2400 and went through 3 units before the 4th seemed ok. Sold it as fast as I could and went to the bino's. Likely will never look back, bino LRF with ballistics is what I prefer.

This year we have had a lot of snow so everything is completely covered. I hunt the open prairie for coyotes and today it was sunny and I just couldn't get a range on anything. I have a bushnell that is probably 15 years old and it's time for an upgrade.

I'm thinking I'll update to a ballistic range finder and have been looking at the Gunwerks Revic BR4. Anyone have experience with these. Especially in the snow. I really want this for big game hunting more than anything but would like to be able to use it for coyotes when we have snow like this.
Vortx fury, 5000 with Applied Ballistics!! don't carry binos and a rangefinder get them all in one piece of equipment.

I have had mine out a couple times no issues, had my 2400r Leica out many times with no issues in the cold. Now I had a sig range finder that did the same thing your saying your Leica is doing. Are you running lithium batteries? I have found they work better in colder temps. I'm also in ND.

I like the idea of range finding binos but I archery hunt a lot and I think trying to stuff binos back in a harness to draw might be more than I want to deal with on a close range animal.

I appreciate all the input.
We shoot a lot of target archery, and 3d archery too. I always have my binos for 3d I haven't really shot much of the target stuff yet my daughter is big into it, and a lot of guys are using binos shooting bows fine. It's just practicing with them to get used to it.

I have had mine out a couple times no issues, had my 2400r Leica out many times with no issues in the cold. Now I had an sig range finder that did the same thing your saying your Leica is doing. Are you running lithium batteries? I have found they work better in colder temps. I'm also in ND.
Yes I am. Energizer Lithium, all I could find. I swapped the batteries back and forth between the 3200s and the older set (Geovid-R?), older set worked without issue with the same batteries while the 3200s failed within a couple minutes of being outside. Once they warmed back up they would work again.