Rangefinder For Snow Conditions

What reticle do you have in your scope? On your power adjustment ring you will notice one of the numbers has a mark on it that is the power you set it at to range with it. If you have a duplex, you can range pretty close with it but if you have mil hash marks you can get closer. Take your range finder and go to your range, range your targets at varying ranges, as you get out past 600 yards you may want to go with ranges like half of one hundred yards, mark your targets with 18-inch marks that you can see with your scope at the different ranges, or what-ever the average chest size is for the deer you are hunting. Set your scope on the number that has the triangular mark on it then look through the scope and count your hash marks writing them down in your range logbook. The 18 inches is the distance from the average man's chin to his waist band on him, but it is the average size of a buck mule deer's chest also this is how the military used to teach ranging with a scope. back when I learned it, they were pretty much fixed 10 power scopes. Leupold marks their power adjustment rings with a triangular mark for that reason, you never know when your batteries will die in your range finder especially, in cold snowy conditions if you aren't carrying it inside your coat. It's just a good back up in case something unexpected happens to your range finder, like snowy ground, batteries die, or it just isn't where you thought you put, because the kids or grandkids decided to use it and never thought to tell you or ask you if they could. Plan "B" just incase.

What reticle do you have in your scope? On your power adjustment ring you will notice one of the numbers has a mark on it that is the power you set it at to range with it. If you have a duplex, you can range pretty close with it but if you have mil hash marks you can get closer. Take your range finder and go to your range, range your targets at varying ranges, as you get out past 600 yards you may want to go with ranges like half of one hundred yards, mark your targets with 18-inch marks that you can see with your scope at the different ranges, or what-ever the average chest size is for the deer you are hunting. Set your scope on the number that has the triangular mark on it then look through the scope and count your hash marks writing them down in your range logbook. The 18 inches is the distance from the average man's chin to his waist band on him, but it is the average size of a buck mule deer's chest also this is how the military used to teach ranging with a scope. back when I learned it, they were pretty much fixed 10 power scopes. Leupold marks their power adjustment rings with a triangular mark for that reason, you never know when your batteries will die in your range finder especially, in cold snowy conditions if you aren't carrying it inside your coat. It's just a good back up in case something unexpected happens to your range finder, like snowy ground, batteries die, or it just isn't where you thought you put, because the kids or grandkids decided to use it and never thought to tell you or ask you if they could. Plan "B" just incase.
I have a ton of experience with using reticles to measure distance; here are the problems:
1. Unless you have high magnification, it is difficult to identify exactly when the target is bracketed. You obviously have to be dead steady when turning the knob of your scope.
2. A one inch error produces an error of 5.5% to 6.5% (18 inch vs 15 inch depth), which is certainly enough to miss at 500. Animals don't come in one size - and neither do humans - I measure 23: from my waistband to my chin and I am only 5"7"
3. Unless they changed it, Leupold scopes have a 15" plex to crosshair subtension at the marked magnification.
4. Sharp angles cause subtension errors.

I had a number of 6.5-20x Leupold scopes modified by Precision Reticles in the 80s and 90s with various subtensions. Worked okay out to 450 or maybe 500 but beyond that, they had way too much error.

I have duplex crosshairs. I was curious so I pulled out my rifle and my scope doesn't have any markings on the power ring except the power settings and recommended ranges for those settings. It might be that my scope is to old for the marks. Back then the turrets were a custom shop item only. Before I had a rangefinder or a turret on my scope I used to use a system like that but I've gotten spoiled and never tried it on this rifle. Here in Washington I seldom have to range much as most shots are under 200 yds.
I appreciate the advice. I'll have to try it

I have a ton of experience with using reticles to measure distance; here are the problems:
1. Unless you have high magnification, it is difficult to identify exactly when the target is bracketed. You obviously have to be dead steady when turning the knob of your scope.
2. A one inch error produces an error of 5.5% to 6.5% (18 inch vs 15 inch depth), which is certainly enough to miss at 500. Animals don't come in one size - and neither do humans - I measure 23: from my waistband to my chin and I am only 5"7"
3. Unless they changed it, Leupold scopes have a 15" plex to crosshair subtension at the marked magnification.
4. Sharp angles cause subtension errors.

I had a number of 6.5-20x Leupold scopes modified by Precision Reticles in the 80s and 90s with various subtensions. Worked okay out to 450 or maybe 500 but beyond that, they had way too much error.
Exactly why I don't shoot unless I can get a solid range. I'd rather pass on a shot than wound one. I did make some pretty good long shots when I was younger and didn't have all this technology. But there was a lot of luck involved as well 😆