what is your favorite long range caliber

For elk I love my 300 RUM launching a 200 gr Accubond at 3200 fps and my 338 RUM runs a close second.
For anything smaller, my 7mm RUM would be hard to beat. Can't pick just one!

The big .338's (bigger than the win mag). I love my RUM thus far, though I havent shot anything with it yet (i did shoot a few with a .340 though). I think that they are the most versitile caliber for big game.There is nothing on this earth that walks on land that it cant harvest with a good bullet, It is one of the best long range performers in a light rifle, and it isnt too big to hunt whitetale with (OK, maybe a little big, but i like a little overkill). That and since I was a youg teen I have been somewhat obsessed with the .338 diameter bullet and lots of powder.

225 grain cutting edge bullet with 128 grains of H-870. They advertise .640 bc. I plugged my drops into jbm and they came out .653. Not a good test but was just curious so did a preliminary. I am doing the test over two calibrated chronos later and see what I get.

What is a great cartridge choice for long range(700 yards +) shooting/hunting(elk & deer) with light (less than 15 lbs) recoil?lightbulb

Anything you want with a proper muzzle break! 300/338 RUM, 300WM, 7mmRM, 264WM... Take your pick. There are others I haven't mentioned. I should also add the 270/7mm/300 SAUM/WSM.

Tank

Thanks liltank.
You didn't mention the .30-06; is there a reason for not mentioning it or is it not suitable for my purposes?

Nothing wrong with it. That caliber just slips my mind. You should be able to launch a 200 to 210 grain bullet around 2650fps or better. That will give you excellent ballistics for that range. Wouldn't shoot much past 800yds for an 06. I picked the others because they offer better ballistics. Some guys have shot Elk to 900+ with a 6.5x284, but that is about as far as I would want to go with a non-magnum.

Tank

22/250......little critters :)

25/06.........not so little critters :D

300 R.U.M......the other critters :cool:.