Whats your favorite long range rifle ?

I gotta say that many of the rifles shown here are HEAVY for hunting rifles to be carried for hours in the field.

As you can see (on page 11) I have a light rifle. That 6.5 PRC X-Bolt Pro has a carbon fiber stock, fluted barrel and bolt, light Talley rings, etc. and comes in at 6 lbs. 3 oz. "naked".

My one concession to weight is the 30 oz. Bushnell LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44 scale with illuminated G3 reticle. I wanted mil/mil turrets and that reticle and an illuminated abbreviated Xmas tree reticle all in a quality scope. That scope had all those features but 30 oz. is not a "light" scope by mountain rifle standards. However it does have the necessary magnification for hunting in Nevada. I could have saved 2 oz. by going with no illumination but illumination is vital in some situations like a dark background or in a dense woods on an overcast day.

Maybe some of the heavy hunting rifles shown here are "bean field rifles" meant for hunting from a tree stand. I hope for their owner's sake that is the case. Otherwise they are going to need an ATV to haul them around.

Eric B.
I carried an M-60 machine gun around for 2 years. My 12 lb hunting rifle is a feather by comparison. Thank you very much for the concern for your fellow hunter.

My Sako 75-V action in 300 RUM, 26" Lilja barrel, Zeiss 6-24 x 50. 208 grain ELD at 3000. She's a real sweet shooter. Stan Jackson out of Anchorage was the gunsmith that did the work, blueprinted the action, fitted the barrel, did a great trigger job, etc. it's the last rifle that he is ever going to build, He is 92 years old now and said this would be his last. His stock work was a testament to old world craftsmanship. I am honored to own this rig. Thank you Stan for another amazing shooter!
F65D22E8-2B16-4EBC-854A-CD21C15C298E.jpeg

C3091371-9967-424F-801F-DE081E5179AB.jpeg

Last edited:
Along with some very accurate rifles here I see some nice scopes.
I have Bushnell Elite scopes on my competition and hunting rifles and they are really good scopes "for the money" and for the features you get for that money.

But I think my next scope for competition will be a NightForce ATACR. I know it is extremely rugged, has great glass and precise turret adjustments. Maybe a bit pricey but not in the Schmidt & Bendover category.

Eric B.

Along with some very accurate rifles here I see some nice scopes.
I have Bushnell Elite scopes on my competition and hunting rifles and they are really good scopes "for the money" and for the features you get for that money.

But I think my next scope for competition will be a NightForce ATACR. I know it is extremely rugged, has great glass and precise turret adjustments. Maybe a bit pricey but not in the Schmidt & Bendover category.

Eric B.
Check out the Valdada 4.8-30x56 40mm tube

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.