What is the slickest centerfire bolt action?

Colt-Sauer was a Colt-German type thing. The locking lugs are at the rear of the action instead of the front (where engineering dictates). This caused undue stress and stretching effect on the action housing and caused accuracy issues due to bolt torquing during the shot. They are famous for case-head separations and the action body itself coming apart. They only made them from early 70's to mid 80's.

There are a few in circulation and considered collectable. One reason for the collectability is that it is hard to find one that has a action that is still functional.

You can find LOTS of used stocks for them though. Cause the stock was the only thing left after the action went. LOL.

They do have smooth actions, but that is only because they were polished from the factory.

Think about it, The lugs in the rear on a long bolt are like taking a sledgehammer and hitting a chisel when the cartridge fires. Think about how hard it is to hold the chisel perfectly straight when you hit it with the sledge...

The Colt-Sauer was a novelty that never really caught on and were kind or marketed to the more discerning rifle enthusiasts who really didn't have a clue.:rolleyes:

Barrelnut

As I recall weren't the Rem 788 actions also rear lock up? I believe Remington designed that action for speedy manufacturing. Remington also claimed the industry's shortest lock time.
The Dreysse pin fire was one of the first bolt actions with combustable cartridges and the priming pill attached to the base of the bullet and the firing pin was an actual pin that punch about 2" onto the paper cartouche to reach the primer. It was made very soon after the Civil War and was a rear lockup.
Nothing new under the sun...

KB

I gotta agree with Morcey2 here! The Mannlicher-Schonauer in 30-06 I shot operated like it glided on graphite. It had a "hair-set" 2-trigger set up and was as nice a factory gun as I've seen or shot.
mine is in 270 and slick as cat ****. have a merkel kr1 is pretty smooth with only 20 rounds through it.

I have or have owned

Sauer 202
Sako 75
Steyr Forester
Beretta Mato (Dakota 97 action IIRC)
Winchester 70 (pre 64 and post 64 push feed)
Remington
Browning BBR
Weatherby Vanguard

They each have their positives and negatives but if we are talking about slick feeding

Sako 75

Although I love the Sauer and Steyr safeties

Favorite action

Beretta Mato for positive controlled round confident never a doubt about failing - feeding

Colt-Sauer was a Colt-German type thing. The locking lugs are at the rear of the action instead of the front (where engineering dictates). This caused undue stress and stretching effect on the action housing and caused accuracy issues due to bolt torquing during the shot. They are famous for case-head separations and the action body itself coming apart. They only made them from early 70's to mid 80's.

There are a few in circulation and considered collectable. One reason for the collectability is that it is hard to find one that has a action that is still functional.

You can find LOTS of used stocks for them though. Cause the stock was the only thing left after the action went. LOL.

They do have smooth actions, but that is only because they were polished from the factory.

Think about it, The lugs in the rear on a long bolt are like taking a sledgehammer and hitting a chisel when the cartridge fires. Think about how hard it is to hold the chisel perfectly straight when you hit it with the sledge...

The Colt-Sauer was a novelty that never really caught on and were kind or marketed to the more discerning rifle enthusiasts who really didn't have a clue.:rolleyes:

Dude, the op asked about smooth actions. But thank you very much for the engineering lesson and your opinion of the Sauer action.

Very true. Colt Sauers couldn't hold a candle to Browning or Tikka. Guess that's why they don't make them anymore. Maybe they cycle smooth, but my understanding is that's about it. Really a poorly designed rifle.

"Maybe they cycle smooth". Now I'm hoping you understand the thread. If you want to beat up on the Sauer go ahead and start a new thread.

Modern style - Blaser R93/R8 (own two)
Modern bolt - Sauer 202 (owned three)
Old bolt - Tikka M65 (own one handled many before i found mine)

The one i like the most is the M65, the others are just tools :)

my vote is for the tikka t3. have owned 3 and have 2 right now. second vote goes to the sako L579 243win that my grandpa bought in Germany. that rifle is super slick and still shoots deer in the ear with Remington green box factory ammo.

Of all rifles I owned in my life, the Krico (Kriegeskorte) 600/700 models and the Heym SR 20 N/G had been outstanding. No other rifle bolt actions I have experienced were as smooth as those two.

Honestly best factory action I still think is the Browning A-Bolt II... As far as smoothness and quickness of cycling. The 60* bolt-throw is also nice.

The most reliable action, I would have to say the old tried and true Remington 700.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.