What is the slickest centerfire bolt action?

owlhoot

Ever notice that gun writers avoid this subject?

My idea of the slickest action is the Sauer. One that would seem to need slickening up is the Ruger M77. A Pre-64 Win Model 70 can be slick. The British SMLE might be the best of the WW II military bolt guns.

What do you think?

Ever notice that gun writers avoid this subject?

My idea of the slickest action is the Sauer. One that would seem to need slickening up is the Ruger M77. A Pre-64 Win Model 70 can be slick. The British SMLE might be the best of the WW II military bolt guns.

What do you think?

Blazer without a second thought
gary

My Steyr ProHunters actions are by a country mile the smoothest and bind or drag free of all my rifles and any I have handled. I have never had the pleasure of handling a Blaser.

My Weatherby Mark V and Savage 10 both work nicely, especailly with the weatherby getting the lugs lapped and savage getting an extended bolt handle.

However, even after those mods they do not hold a candle to my Browning Medallion A-bolt. I just love the light bolt lift, smooth slide, goes into battery every time whether chambering from the mag or doing a drop in. It chambers everything too, ballistic tips, hollow points, round noses, VLD's, SMK's, A-Max's, you name it.

Another vote for the A-bolt.

Only other actions I've tried are Rugers and Remingtons. Nothing special there.

Old actions are slick, P17, R700, Weatherby, pre 64 M70.

New actions are eventually slick unless you are not shooting them.

Engineering wise: A Blaser has to be...

I'll be the oddball here. The two smoothest actions I've ever handled are an Argentine 1909 and a Mannlicher-Schonauer in 30-06. I own the 1909 now, but the MS was more than I could afford at the time. The 1909 is one that was imported as 7.65x53 and reamed out to 30-06, but with a 0.313" groove diameter. It shoots 180gr round nose .308" bullets pretty well, but nothing else. Its destiny is to become a fast-twist 6mm Remington later this year. At least that's what it told me it wanted to be. :)

I don't have nearly as much experience as many here, but I've handled quite a few guns in passing and those two still stand out to me.

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.