What is the slickest centerfire bolt action?

Another one for tikka here. I own a couple rem 700's and an abolt as well and the tikka hands down is smoother than any of them.

Another one for tikka here. I own a couple rem 700's and an abolt as well and the tikka hands down is smoother than any of them.

I assume this is earlier work from Tikka? I have handled half a dozen or so of the T3's and all felt like they were lubricated with sand. They all shoot great though.

I assume this is earlier work from Tikka? I have handled half a dozen or so of the T3's and all felt like they were lubricated with sand. They all shoot great though.

Im talking about the current T3's. The actions on both of mine is as smooth as can be.

I have had 4 custom actions, Stiller, Badger, Bat, and Defiance. Without a doubt the smoothest action I have ever had is the Sako TRG 42 that I so dearly regret selling.

I'll be the oddball here. The two smoothest actions I've ever handled are an Argentine 1909 and a Mannlicher-Schonauer in 30-06. I own the 1909 now, but the MS was more than I could afford at the time. The 1909 is one that was imported as 7.65x53 and reamed out to 30-06, but with a 0.313" groove diameter. It shoots 180gr round nose .308" bullets pretty well, but nothing else. Its destiny is to become a fast-twist 6mm Remington later this year. At least that's what it told me it wanted to be. :)

I don't have nearly as much experience as many here, but I've handled quite a few guns in passing and those two still stand out to me.

Matt

I gotta agree with Morcey2 here! The Mannlicher-Schonauer in 30-06 I shot operated like it glided on graphite. It had a "hair-set" 2-trigger set up and was as nice a factory gun as I've seen or shot.

I'll say Colt Sauer again. Unless you have handled one you don't know. I saw a vote for Sako 995, they are great, I have one, but not the ice on ice of a Sauer.

Not to offend anyone, but Tikka or Browning? They aren't even in the same conversation.

Very true. Colt Sauers couldn't hold a candle to Browning or Tikka. Guess that's why they don't make them anymore. Maybe they cycle smooth, but my understanding is that's about it. Really a poorly designed rifle.

Not sure what the difference between the Colt Sauer and the Sauers in the videos but I think they are very well designed rifles ...

and this shooter is putting in an amazing shooting clinic afield ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Colt-Sauer was a Colt-German type thing. The locking lugs are at the rear of the action instead of the front (where engineering dictates). This caused undue stress and stretching effect on the action housing and caused accuracy issues due to bolt torquing during the shot. They are famous for case-head separations and the action body itself coming apart. They only made them from early 70's to mid 80's.

There are a few in circulation and considered collectable. One reason for the collectability is that it is hard to find one that has a action that is still functional.

You can find LOTS of used stocks for them though. Cause the stock was the only thing left after the action went. LOL.

They do have smooth actions, but that is only because they were polished from the factory.

Think about it, The lugs in the rear on a long bolt are like taking a sledgehammer and hitting a chisel when the cartridge fires. Think about how hard it is to hold the chisel perfectly straight when you hit it with the sledge...

The Colt-Sauer was a novelty that never really caught on and were kind or marketed to the more discerning rifle enthusiasts who really didn't have a clue.:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.