Mandrel after bushing die size?

Ryeguy

How many people still run through an expander mandrel if using a higher end bushing die? When I first got my mandrel I was using cheaper dies for my 6.5 Saum but recently bought Whidden bushing die and wondering if it pays to run a mandrel afterwards? Do you size it down 1-2thou too much and open to desired "neck size" with mandrel? Curious of others process.
Thanks

I used too, but now just the bushing. I also don't buy into less is more on the interference thing. I'm running 4 to 6 thou interference with much better grouping at distance. To each there own, but I would suggest a test with and without using the mandrel.

To get uniform and consistent neck interference, my final sizing on the neck is done in .0005" increments so I actually get about .0005"-0007", so I get .0015"-.0017" interference. If it's a rifle that requires .004" interference, which is rare for me, I adjust my mandrel in .0005" thicknesses until I get the .0005" springback required for final size. A few tenths over or under mean little, but they ALL need to be the same, any more than this get removed from the batch. All my brass is annealed to the same specs (read hardness) as factory brass.
Most of my rifles run just under .002" interference, and final measurement is always taken after springback the next day, not all brass stays stable over time, especially newer brass that is only 3x fired…

Cheers.

How many people still run through an expander mandrel if using a higher end bushing die? When I first got my mandrel I was using cheaper dies for my 6.5 Saum but recently bought Whidden bushing die and wondering if it pays to run a mandrel afterwards? Do you size it down 1-2thou too much and open to desired "neck size" with mandrel? Curious of others process.
Thanks
Only way to know is to do it both ways and measure runout. The mic doesn't lie. Then you will know iwhich is better. If you don't turn necked the mandrel will usually win.

There's no stretch from pulling a mandrel out of the neck
This is true of any die approach. It's buttons that pull necks, not mandrels.
How many people still run through an expander mandrel if using a higher end bushing die?
The mandrel functions to pre-expand necks before bullet seating. This is different and independent of your downsizing.
So the necks will be expanded with a hardened mandrel or die button, -or your soft bullets.
Up to you.

I looked at them on their website, seems like one would have to buy their Pro die for $269.00 which is a lot for one die to get the carbide button, I do acknowledge that the entire sizing die uses carbide for body and neck sizing which is kinda cool but still pricey. I did see the carbide button and stem sold separately but I think it reqiures the Lyman sizing die.