What is it ?

cornshank

Found this in the barn, of an old gunsmith , not sure what it is ?
Thanks
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Its a vee block jig used to drill holes on center on round stock, it was likely used to drill and tap rifle barrels for iron sights, the thru hole in the top plate looks to be a drill bushing, my bet is its removable, it may be rusted in place I would look for additional bushings.
Thanks, I will take a look around for more bushings .

Definitely what it looks like, but the holes in the ends are too far away to be for action screws to locate the receiver.
Doesn't have a block to fit in the raceway to orient it (like the Forster jig) either.
Couldn't be used in that application as I see it, there's no way to precisely orient a round action "up".

Definitely what it looks like, but the holes in the ends are too far away to be for action screws to locate the receiver.
Doesn't have a block to fit in the raceway to orient it (like the Forster jig) either.
Couldn't be used in that application as I see it, there's no way to precisely orient a round action "up".
đź‘Ť

"Gunsmiths" of old had their choice of flat bottomed actions. Mausers, Springfields,P14s and M1917s, and Winchester 70s. That jig was most likely used for mounting front sights. The only sight mounting jig that had enough length to drill/tap for the front sight was the Billy Best. There was an extension available at one time for the Forster, but it is long out of production as few rifles wear a open front sight, anymore. Those that build 'safari style' have figured a way for front sight mounting and that usually involves soldering,. The only drilling I have done on those is the 'locator' hole that ends up hidden in the dovetail. The flat bottom gives you a 'register' to work off of. There are ways to cheat round actions, too. Just takes a bit of creativity......

"Gunsmiths" of old had their choice of flat bottomed actions. Mausers, Springfields,P14s and M1917s, and Winchester 70s. That jig was most likely used for mounting front sights. The only sight mounting jig that had enough length to drill/tap for the front sight was the Billy Best. There was an extension available at one time for the Forster, but it is long out of production as few rifles wear a open front sight, anymore. Those that build 'safari style' have figured a way for front sight mounting and that usually involves soldering,. The only drilling I have done on those is the 'locator' hole that ends up hidden in the dovetail. The flat bottom gives you a 'register' to work off of. There are ways to cheat round actions, too. Just takes a bit of creativity......
Thanks ! , so it belongs in a museum !

Interesting. The off center washer in pic 2 looks to be a stop of sorts. Being a vee block though it`s definitely for holding round work stock. along with the centering hole. Hmmmm?

Interesting. The off center washer in pic 2 looks to be a stop of sorts. Being a vee block though it`s definitely for holding round work stock. along with the centering hole. Hmmmm?
He was a friend and retired gunsmith, he made and sold his own brand of reloading dies , brochure and all, I'll post a pic of brochure someday when I'm up at cabin, I still have a whol stack of them.
Anyway some crazy to me stuff ,I have found around there.
Thanks for the reply.
Here's another pic of a press I think he made it ?
Thanks

Attachments

• C1B9277B-5A96-4FC6-AA54-29AC35886965.jpeg
    C1B9277B-5A96-4FC6-AA54-29AC35886965.jpeg
    519.1 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
He was a friend and retired gunsmith, he made and sold his own brand of reloading dies , brochure and all, I'll post a pic of brochure someday when I'm up at cabin, I still have a whol stack of them.
Anyway some crazy to me stuff ,I have found around there.
Thanks for the reply.
Those are treasures for sure. Love things like these.