Latest , what is it ,gunsmithing tool ? And museum pics

Bottom one looks to me like a sight pusher, although not very strong. Wouldn't push 1911 sights into their dovetail, for example.

Top one is interesting. The part to the right looks like a handle, including having a bent portion to cushion the fingers. There appears to be a square stud on the lower end that would fit in a 1/4" socket drive. I don't think there's enough adjustment in the screws to be a scope mount, and the square stud doesn't make a lot of sense.

Where in the Sierras is the church?
PM sent.
Thanks

What are the chances that the big piece is some sort of alignment tool. Could that lip maybe hook on the side of the reciever/ejection port and either align the barrel or the bolt depending on which end is used? That's my shot in the dark lol.

My apologies for my reply (#16). I just re-read the original post (#1), and saw that you had already addressed my guess...

I'd agree that the 'D'-shaped piece with the thumb screw is a soldering fixture for ribs or front sights - many uses!

For the other piece ... maybe a fixture to drill and tap a bolt action receiver ring for a rear aperture sight, like Lyman on a Krag? As I believe on the Krag that the Redfield aperture sight is mounted on the left-side of the rear action/receiver ring. There are 2 holes on the thingie there, on the rear-most vertical support (not showing below).
Mount.jpg

I'd agree that the 'D'-shaped piece with the thumb screw is a soldering fixture for ribs or front sights - many uses!

For the other piece ... maybe a fixture to drill and tap a bolt action receiver ring for a rear aperture sight, like Lyman on a Krag? As I believe on the Krag that the Redfield aperture sight is mounted on the left-side of the rear action/receiver ring. There are 2 holes on the thingie there, on the rear-most vertical support (not showing below).
View attachment 360062
He did have a lot of redfield stuff , here are a couple more pics at different angles
7656E9B6-5BD3-4467-8A87-58BFD95B35BA.jpeg
8F0F9B2D-08FB-4C20-AB03-941F9E53F84F.jpeg

The radius steel section with the two "mounting holes" looks exactly like a side-mount scope base would- and I suspect if you snugged it up against the side of a typical 1-1/4" or so receiver, it would conform to that radius. Along that same logic, the front "ring" would be over the centerline of the receiver. If it had a matching similar ring at the rear- and didn't have those indexed screws, it would most certainly be a side mount. Further, the flat section is attached to the lower with thumb screws- again, suggesting a side mount where you could remove the section containing the scope. I've got Williams side mounts that look exactly like that.

That rear square head bolt looks out of place. I'm wondering if there was, at some point in time, another ring attached there, just like the front. Wouldn't explain the indexing screws though- but otherwise, it would be a side mount scope base in that configuration.

Wow cornshank! You never disappoint. I was thinking sight pusher of some type for the "clamp", and some kind a jig for the other. Looks like a person could loose track of time looking around your museum...... I know I could! 😂 I was just imagining the stories the gentleman who made/used these tools could have told. Thank you for sharing.

Wow cornshank! You never disappoint. I was thinking sight pusher of some type for the "clamp", and some kind a jig for the other. Looks like a person could loose track of time looking around your museum...... I know I could! 😂 I was just imagining the stories the gentleman who made/used these tools could have told. Thank you for sharing.
He was one of a kind for sure , 93 years old when he passed on .
He could talk about guns and everything related for hours.
He used to say " if you see what I mean " , during conversations , to make sure you were listening.