Latest , what is it ,gunsmithing tool ? And museum pics

The radius steel section with the two "mounting holes" looks exactly like a side-mount scope base would- and I suspect if you snugged it up against the side of a typical 1-1/4" or so receiver, it would conform to that radius. Along that same logic, the front "ring" would be over the centerline of the receiver. If it had a matching similar ring at the rear- and didn't have those indexed screws, it would most certainly be a side mount. Further, the flat section is attached to the lower with thumb screws- again, suggesting a side mount where you could remove the section containing the scope. I've got Williams side mounts that look exactly like that.

That rear square head bolt looks out of place. I'm wondering if there was, at some point in time, another ring attached there, just like the front. Wouldn't explain the indexing screws though- but otherwise, it would be a side mount scope base in that configuration.
Sounds good to me , but if i put it in the museum , how many people are going to figure out what it is? Very Very few.

NRA museum, or you should just start your own. I would even donate back what I got from you and some more. Cali is closer than Virginia.
Sounds good , mine is up and running , probably 350 people have signed the guest book (thats a rough guess ) .
It is open upon request , had to do it that way due to small town ,
It's a catch 22 I have a a fair amount of the towns history ,but getting enough people to visit,to make it worth while is tough.
But the other alternative is get rid of the stuff, then history is gone.
So there it is.
Thanks

More mysteries from the barn, one on the left might be something out of a Ricola commercial?

image.jpg
image.jpg

First looks like my stippling punch for hard to reach checkering areas.....is the head of the finish nail drilled out slightly to create a dome? I know I have seen the second one somewhere but it's not coming to me right now.