What is a Really Good Hunting Knife

Have to agree Darryle .... I bought some of the Mora knives because of the low prices, and was pleasantly surprised at their quality. For what they were selling for then (<$10) you couldn't find a better knife anywhere. I bought them in the bright-colored handle versions so if I dropped one, it would be easy to find. Definitely the best money I've ever spent on a utility knife. No, they definitely not up to "bushcraft" status, but they will meet your EDC needs.

Every time I am working around the guys lately, I find an excuse to borrow their knives, so I can check out what they're using.
Many seem to carry a Buck, or Benchmade, 4 ish inch long blades for most. A month ago I broke my knife, yes it was my fault for using it as a screwdriver. At a poker game that night I mentioned needing to buy a new knife, which began a long conversation, in which several said they also need to buy a new knife soon, as their's were getting to be in pretty beat up. That's why I figured buying 16 good knives, and giving them as Christmas gifts was a good plan.

I just now ordered a Buck 105, and Benchmade Steep country, to try them out and see which I like, and the guys like. It will be easy to bring up my new knives in conversation with them, and get feedback. The one most liked, will be what I order more of.
Thanks everyone, you are all awesome.

I just now ordered a Buck 105, and Benchmade Steep country, to try them out and see which I like, and the guys like. It will be easy to bring up my new knives in conversation with them, and get feedback. The one most liked, will be what I order more of.
Someone needs to give you a good multi-tool for Christmas, one with screwdriver choices😉

Congrats !! You've made some good selections! I'm sure your friends will be thrilled with whichever one you give them! (PS : I love the 105 .... just plain good old classic looks!)

For those who love knives and would like to explore the properties of knife steels, here's a link to an article that covers most everything from premium to general purpose knife steels.
Covers edge retention, toughness, corrosion resistance and ease of sharpening.

You can forget having to "touch up" a McCrosky Knife when skinning and cutting up a couple of elk. Their Elk Skinner is the only knife you will ever need for deer, elk, and hogs.

After using one of their knives, you will realize just how much junk you have owned in your life, including German knives! I am not affiliated with McCrosky knives, I just use them.

A friend who was a trapper skinned over 300 beavers before he had to touch up his trapper set of McCrosky knives.

Ditto on the McCrosky knives. Have two skinners and his trapper set. Also have a couple castrater knives that are the best I have ever used. For his skinners he will want hand measurements as he builds them to fit your hand.