Need help choosing a hunting knife

I've bought a lot of good hunting knives over the years. I'm a knife fanatic I guess. There are a lot of good knives out there. As for fixed blade knives, the Bucks are hard to beat for the price. The steel is hard, which makes it hard to sharpen, but once it gets an edge, it will hold it all season.
My latest favorite knife isn't a fixed blade though. I never liked to carry a fixed blade on my belt. It was always in my backpack, usually far enough away to be unhandy. So I went in search of a folding knife that I could carry in my pocket, that would do anything that a fixed blade would do. I finally found it. It's a Benchmade Adamas Automatic. Automatics, which some folks call switchblades, are legal in Tennessee. For states where they aren't, Benchmade makes a spring-assisted version, as well as a fixed blade in this design. This is a heavy made knife that has a drop point blade that's almost 3/16" thick. It will handle any moose out there. The clip lets it ride low in the pocket, but handy. The spring makes one hand operation a snap. It can be very handy when a horse goes berserk involving ropes or reins. This may be my last hunting knife.

2750 Adamas® Auto AXIS Folder Product Detail

Some feedback on the Raptor Big Game Skinner.
Used it to skin a sick hereford cow that was made into dog food.
Gut hook part works well for opening up but needs something pointy to make the initial cut.
Round side of blade works really well as a flayer. Takes a bit of getting used to after using normal knives for 40 years. Just different works really well as a flayer. Did half the cow and blade is still sharp.
Cheers
hjl

I own a Grohmann model R1c Russell Canadian Belt Knife. I have had this knife for 30 years and it has performed extremely well.
I am looking to buy a flayer type knife to go with this knife.
My son suggested if you have had a knife for 30 years and are very happy with it why not get its big brother. Makes a lot of sense.
So anyone use a Grohmann G100 pelt skinner?
Cheers
hjl

Nearly every charter boat I've ever been in on the deck hands used inexpensive Dexter Russel knives and they put those blades through more use in a season than most big game hunters will in a lifetime. I picked up a high carbon Sheep Skinner with beech handle. High carbon steel is super easy and quick to get a razor edge on. All my fillet, boning and general meat processing knives are now Dedter Russel. You can get a bunch of specific task designed blades for the price of one high dollar stainless knife.

Most years I work up 2 or 3 moose and a caribou or 2 . The single most efficient and useful knife going today is the Outdoor Edge " Swing Blade " !!
The concave blade is the best design I've ever used for all the opening cuts in the hide then swing it around and the clip point works great for skinning and taking the animal apart. Including taking the head off at the first vertibrea.
I like and need lots of knives. When doing a moose at 40 below you need several skinning and butchering knives because the liquids instantly freeze onto the blade and build up to where you no longer have a knife in your hand but kinda a stick. I use a fixed blade unzipper " concave edge " . A Game Skinner both Outdoor Edge and a few fixed blade knives including several commercial Dexter knives with the White nylon and black nylon handles.
I need to get off my *** and put handles on 2 Russel blades I picked up. One is a buffalo skinner blade shape and the other has a blunt point and shallow radius convex curve to it. I've got a smaller bull caribou rack that I'm going to make the handles from. Caribou antler is one of the toughest materials in nature and makes great knife handles.
My first concave blade knife was a Gerber fixed blade with a carbon fiber/ synthetic button on the tip. I did a few sitka Blacktails and a few moose with it then gave it to a good friend who has done several moose with it.
I HATE. I mean I REALLY REALLY HATE!!! Hair on my meat. And I'm not much for ***** footing around when working up an animal to move it. By cutting the hide from inside out it reduces cut hair by 90% .

Anza Knives

See these guys at the gun shows quite a bit. I have one (though has not been bloodied). Made of old files.

Those are some of the most attractive custom style knives I have seen in quite a while. I may have to check one of those out. Thanks for posting.

We have a local knife maker that uses steel from old saw mill blades. They are easy to sharpen and hold a nice edge. He also teaches a class on custom knife making. Want to take that someday.

For fine skinning work like a bull caribou's face where a shovel is nearly touching its face I prefer my yellow handle Case Trapper folder. Its easy to get it scalple sharp and is easy on the hand, easy to use. Mine has the 3 1/2" blade.

Contrary to what some guys say I like a really big knife for some jobs like taking the quarters off. Taking the ribs off and especially the head. I don't have to have my knife hand in the blood much.

Anza Knives

See these guys at the gun shows quite a bit. I have one (though has not been bloodied). Made of old files.

I picked up an Anza F-3 while I was in Colorado about 10 years ago. This knife has been through a butt load of hogs and a bunch of deer and hopefully in 2015 it will get a little elk blood on it. This knife has held up amazingly and a quick stroke on a steel and its right there ready to tackle another critter. They are made with files and I thought that they would be on the brittle side, and I will say they're anything but. It handles very well. I am very satisfied with this knife, and its not overly expensive for a custom quality knife that is intended to be used and abused.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.