What is a Really Good Hunting Knife

I run a benchmade steep country as well as an outdoor edge replaceable. Fixed blade gets me through all of the tough stuff (hide, guts, and joints) where the replaceable blade does all the meat care. It works great and keeps my meat clean. If you have the cash Montana knife co makes super sick stuff and all American made

I would suggest you take everything that has been suggested and then study each of the recipients. If they carry a knife daily and you are close enough to to observe how they use it, you can better tailor the gift to exactly how they use or need it.

I carry a MKC Fieldcraft EDC, it's a little back up for those moments when you need a quick deploy knife that may save your life. I also carry a Trapper folder for those daily chores of slicing my apple, jerky or cutting a cord/zip tie at work or around the farm. My favorite and the one that holds the edge the longest is a 30+ yr old Hen and Rooster with stag scales, 2nd favorite is a old Case Trapper with Bois D'arc scales.

Every man uses a knife differently, we make concessions when we choose one, because, like rifle calibers, they are a personal choice and there is no perfect caliber or knife for any two men.

I just don't want to see you spend money on a knife they deem to pretty to carry or not useful for their purposes.

I have full custom knives, custom "production" knives and everyday production knives, each fills a different need.

If they don't carry the knife you choose would it upset you or leave you doubtful about the choice. I know that Christmas is fast approaching, but the gift will be more meaningful to them if they see the effort and thought behind it versus the choice. The old cliché line, "it's the thought that counts" is the actual gift that most people overlook.

Good luck, you have your work cutout for you.

Just a few of the different choices I have made. Some I carry/did carry daily, others stay with my hunting gear.

View attachment 508662View attachment 508663View attachment 508664View attachment 508665View attachment 508666
Not often do i see a complete selection of knives that will tackle ALL your chores…….Have a collection in excess of 50 custom knives.

I have said it, and will say it again, a McCrosky knife will redefine your thinking on what a quality knife is, and I have had large collections of skinning knives. Just imagine being able to skin and butcher 8 deer at the deer club without ever needing a touch-up, and other guys with custom knives wanting to borrow your knife to finish their deer! No Kidding!

I have a collection of EDC also, but when you are out in the field needing a knife that will just keep working, treat yourself to a McCrosky knife, I have never known anyone that was not Extremely happy WITH THEIR KNIFE!

After their first knife, they often go back and buy all their kids and family members one!

You never have to carry a Steel to the field with you to skin and cut up deer, elk, and hogs....ever! This is not snake oil, it is the real deal!

The best knife makers service their knives free for the customer, There are few dedicated knife makers.

My uncle was a taxidermist. I grew up skinning deer heads, ducks, fish. Imagine having a knife in the field that is as sharp as a surgeon's knife and keeps the edge! When you get a McCrosky knife, there is blue tape on the blade, otherwise, it would cut straight through the leather sheath on shipment.

M
Not often do i see a complete selection of knives that will tackle ALL your chores…….Have a collection in excess of 50 custom knives.

It's kinda like sunglasses, no one pair works for every situation, it's a rabbit hole.

Our grandparents had 1 or 2 knives. My grandfather carried a Case stockman and had a hickory handled Ontario Knife Company butcher knife that he used to clean game, render pigs and cows. He used the stockman for cleaning fish, whittling a small tree into a fishing pole or bank line, cutting fruit, vegetables or anything else.

Maybe Bernie is right, we have too many choices 🤣