What happened to the good old hunting rifle?

Still have my Dad's 1948 Model 70- .270 Super Grade, with a B&L Balvar. He purchased it new back when he was in the service in Alaska. He told me that it could put 3 shots @ 200 yards, that you could cover with a dime. I will tell you I never witnessed it, or repeated the feat. A well used but beautiful rifle.

I got a good ole hunting rifle that I bought of $250. Wooden stock savage 110 in 270 win. Replaced the trigger and nothing else. Thing shoots the 145 eldx at 2980 out to 1100 yards. Super accurate gun. When I joined this forum, I was told I needed at least a 7mm to hunt elk. I bought the 7mm and was banging steel. Week before the hunt, the scope on the 7mm acts up. Out comes the ole 270 win and 150 grain nosler partition. Cow elk dropped and gave one leg kick. 282 yard shot.

In general, I think some of the old rifles are under utilized.

I began shooting in the early 1950s, started with a .22 LR Marlin 39A lever action. Nailed jackrabbits regularly. Today I shoot and load for a .338 LPM, which I dearly love. Along the way I have picked up, traded and sold quite a few others. Everything changes, cars, planes, social attitudes...and guns. Though it may be said that politicians haven't changed over the centuries. Nothing says you have to stay with the older stuff or have to use the newer stuff. Use/keep/buy what you can afford and enjoy. The time to use any particular gun is when you are using it...you make the time by using whatever suits you at the moment.

When I was a kid most of the guys around the small western Colorado towns I still live in used model 94 30-30's and savage 99's in 300 savage. Those old boys killed a lot of game. They were hunters and shooters when long range was 200 yards. So I learned to hunt elk, up close and personal with my open sighted 30-06 that kicked way too much at the time. After several decades of magnumitis and newer and better I bought a Browning 1886 45-70. With a peep sight it made a 300 yard gun which is about double the range of the 60 some elk I've taken so far. Now I'm hunting with a ultralight .284 but that rifle has shot well out to 800 yards for me. I still prefer to get out in the woods and hunt, but for those cross canyon bulls above the ranch that I can't get close to in the brush an almost completed custom .300 WSM will suffice for those 800 to over 1200 yard shots. And after I'm gone my grandsons will get granddads "old school" rifles. My brother still has dad's old 303 enfield. If that was the only rifle we had we would kill just as many elk as ever.

While I have succumbed to the more contemporary features for the last decade or two with my LR hunting rifles, I still use and fully appreciate my more traditional hunting rifles for medium range hunting. My favorite for many decades has been my pre-64 Model 70 in 30-06. All original and still shoots under 1MOA.
6ECA9D80-4A1E-4775-BA37-63ADBA09BD14.jpeg

While I have succumbed to the more contemporary features for the last decade or two with my LR hunting rifles, I still use and fully appreciate my more traditional hunting rifles for medium range hunting. My favorite for many decades has been my pre-64 Model 70 in 30-06. All original and still shoots under 1MOA.
View attachment 260738
Beautiful rifle. I still use a couple of Cooper rifles with their beautiful traditional sporter stocks. My 22-250 custom classic will regularly shoot around .25 moa with tailored hand loads. I've used a .22 rimfire western classic for over 20 years. I just love those classics. I sold 2 other Cooper big game rifles to fund a couple modern stainless/carbon fiber rifles. I just couldn't bring myself to beat up that high grade wood chasing elk in the brush and snow.

I remember in about 1964 or 65 had a bow league asked if I could try out the new Kodiak Magnum on his indoor range at longest range put arrow thru into the back stop. WOW sure beat my old 40 lb. straight limb bow .

They still make them and there is still an appreciation for classic designsView attachment 260195
I was so impressed till I saw the carbon arrow. Lol. I love them both. Classic lines and quality builds. Dont get me wrong, I like to shoot stuff way out there, but as an old friend used to say, "I like it when they are so close, they can lick the tip of the arrow. " great pic. Thanks

View attachment 260738
Gotta love those Super Grades!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.