What Happened To This Bullet ?

Wedgy

I found this the other day in the dirt next to the bench. It's a .30 caliber and weighs 229.9 grains, it looks like a Berger. It didn't get fired as there are no rifling marks but it sure looks like it hit something, or something hit it. Maybe something stuck in the barrel ? I'm not sure but I think I'm glad I wasn't there to see it.
b5.jpg
b1.jpg
b2.jpg
b3.jpg
b4.jpg

It of weird striations on the bullet....looks like someone had it loaded at one time..maybe......maybe screwed it up pulling it out of brass and then maybe did some tinkering to see how it was built....looks like it has been cut or dremeled.....but again could have been gouged by another piece of metal...
Berger or mono....

It of weird striations on the bullet....looks like someone had it loaded at one time..maybe......maybe screwed it up pulling it out of brass and then maybe did some tinkering to see how it was built....looks like it has been cut or dremeled.....but again could have been gouged by another piece of metal...
Berger or mono....
It is a lead bullet, not mono.

I like this game....
Okay....picture this....whether or not the was another cartridge...
The shape of the from of the Bullet is definitely stretched toward...
Gouged and stretched forward....bottom of the bolt grabbed the bullet as it was slid forward of the magazine....
If that's what you mean by short cycled....absolutely.....almost done this very thing a couple times thru the years.....
But with that much damage and contorted...i bet tbere was a rifle full of free flowing powder......

If that's what you mean by short cycled....absolutely.....almost done this very thing a couple times thru the years.....

Yes, that's what I was talking about. Usually happens when the shooter forgets that they already brought the bolt back and started to push a cartridge into the chamber. They then pull the bolt back to pickup another cartridge and push it forward. Because the rifle is not "controlled round feed" the first round is just setting there not in the chamber yet, and the user tries to force the bolt closed. The pic is pretty much what you can end up with. This guy must have been pretty determined to close the bolt!

I think it might be a bullet stuck in the throat and he ran a rod down the muzzle to knock it out.
This is exactly what I think happened.
Have had the same, luckily, with a 22 cal rod on a 30 cal bullet. It popped right out with a few whacks.
My buddy had the same.........jammed the bullet AND the rod solidly in the bore!
Had to remove the barrel (switch barrel rifle luckily) and use a brass rod to tap the bullet and rod out. There was a small nick in one land, barrel still shot very well afterwards.

Cheers.
:D

how about the simple explanation. screw up at factory setting up presses and slipped past quality control then somebody took to show friends what he found in his box of bullets

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.